Update on XK120 ENV axle numbers

Here is another one shown on a Michael Owen video (youtube.com/watch?v=du7X8WV0NsI) of #670053.
JHS 55 0398 14/51

Found that one, too!! Thanks, anyway!

Here is mine from 670221

You must have given it to me before, Ehab. I already have those details and that picture. It is an early car - April 1950.

Here is a photo of mine from 670323, a 1950 xk120 OTS. — Mike Burke https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiE03FfCnXaIkDY0rD-6qZ5U_CqW

That’s great, Mike. It fits right in there!
Chris

This is the axle in 670110

Well, this is an interesting one! 670110 is a very early car, in fact an alloy one, built Jan 1950. However, the stamped numbers suggest a late 1951 axle. This leads me to think it may have had an axle change at some point in its life. I would expect the spring saddles on the axle tubes to be the later, taller type, without the alloy spacer wedge. Do you know if this is the case?

The saddles on 670110 are taller than the ones on my other alloy 670088 which has the wedges.670110ENVrearaxle

That makes sense, then. I thought I could see in one of the pictures on XKdata that it had the taller saddles. TWO alloy cars - lucky fellow!!

I only have one record from a Mk V, some of which used the ENV axle. It is JH2287 (not JHS) No. 22, 10 43 (4.30 ratio). I’d be interested to see more from Mk Vs. My own 3.27 axle is JHS 1. Does this make it the first XK120 axle, or the first 3.27… I just don’t know yet.

Hi another ENV axle set of numbers which appear to sit nicely in your series.

Chassis 660928
Manufacture date 30/10/51
No. 6608
JHS 2811
14 51

Letter K stamped above the numbers above
Photo attached (with green paint)

Unfortunately the axle internals are poor and it needs a rebuild any suggestions?

Many thanks, Chiz. Nice clear set of numbers, but I believe it is stamped No 6508 not 6608? It does fit nicely in the list.
I don’t know which country you’re in, but I had mine rebuilt by Geoff Holman, of Holman Engineering, New Haw, Addlestone, on the south west border of London, UK. He seems to be the go-to guy here for anything ENV, plus Moss boxes, steering boxes, etc. Did a great job for me.

Hi Chris
You’re quite right it’s clearly 6508.
I’m in UK in East Sussex so Addlestone isn’t far away so many thanks for the Holman Engineering contact.
It’s very useful to have an ENV axle point of reference as many just advocate swapping out for the more common later Salisbury axle but I enjoy driving a mostly original car and would like to keep the ENV axle. I’m not obsessed by this but with a largely original car I’d like to keep it that way. Best Charles

Glad to be able to help, Charles. When you say the internals are poor, what do you mean? BTW, the axle will have to be off the car when it goes to Geoff - he doesn’t do removal from the car in question. His is an engineering workshop, pure and simple. I had someone else refit the rebuilt 3.27 to my axle casing, who replaced inner and outer oil seals and wheel bearings at the same time. I’ll be getting Geoff to rebuild my spare Moss JH box as well at some point, too.

Chris thanks for that info. The diff is already off the car and apparently it will need a new/different crown wheel and probably pinion. I know these aren’t readily available so any hemp in that regard would be very welcome. Charles

I tried to send you a personal message, but I couldn’t seem to do it. Any tips on how to??
Chris

Chris, message sent
Charles

Hello
Presently I reactivate our XK 120’s original ENV Axle so there is another number for the list:

This axle came out of the factory as #660097’s drivetrain to be rejoined soon :smile:

Best Regards from Switzerland
Lukas

1 Like

PS: One question arised: This strange spring and plates mechanism is not original, isn’t it?