Upgrading my Exhaust for more Growl

Put your hearing aid back on and get back to work!
:smirk:

1 Like

My back, though needing aid, has no hearing lossā€¦Yodaā€¦:wink:

Off topic. Another musician here! Drummer. Band rehearsal tonight for a gig next week.

Hereā€™s the fix.
Put your hearing aid back on and get back to work!
:grinning:
Brent

Your cabinet is full ofā€¦drums! And the kit looks great.

And those speakers, I cannot hardly lift them up on the stands any more.

Letā€™s hear it for musicians!!

I suppose we should move this to the lounge if weā€™re going to talk off-topic.

2 Likes

I hope you have seen the ā€œDonā€™t Touch My Drum Setā€ scene in Step Brothers. I am laughing now just thinking about it.

David
68 E-type FHC

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got these on both my 3.8s. Nice sound, especially from 3000rpm up.

1 Like

Andrew

I look forward to your report of the fit, finish and (of course) sound.
I am considering the Barratt and SC Parts exhaust systems for my Series III.
They are currently priced within $10 of each other - SC postage would be considerably more than Barratt but the SC Parts price includes the fan tail finisherā€¦

Craig

Andrew, that is good news. Have you posted anything with their sound? I have finally made the final installation of the exhaust system. I put pics on ā€œWhat Did you do to you E-type Today.ā€

Hi all,

I found another possible exhaust system for the V12: a ā€œBig Boreā€ system offered by Moss.

I also found a neat Jay Lenoā€™s garage episode that has a Big Bore mounted on a modified V12 car. Check it out:

I hope itā€™s the same systemā€¦sounds pretty good!!!

1 Like

1966 E Type 2+2

After loosing too many arguments with speed bumps I had my car put up on a lift and had the opportunity to look through the mufflers. There were no baffles left. I guess that explains why I blowing brown smoke for a while.

I decided to go straight back to the stock chrome resonators using mild steel fabricated by a real muffler shop.

Result

• saved money by not replacing mufflers
  • I was able to lift the system
  • the resonators now do all the silencing and it sounds fine
  • used mild steel pipes and had everything welded (no clamps except for resonator
    connections
  • did not have to source the extended mufflers for a 2+2 (no need for a US purchase, no
    shipping costs , no USD/CDN exchange)
  • no leaks nor problems for over 10 years
1 Like

Mine came with what I was told an Ansa exhaust. Itā€™s loud and I love it, but since Iā€™m replacing the clutch and this one is leaking a bit, Iā€™m putting in a new one at the same time. Love the classic fab set up, but going with the Bell Sport System. Old one for context:

You could just have the current setup media blasted then you paint it black again with header paintā€¦

2 Likes

I do like that idea and if the were all that was wrong I might have taken a whack at it. I was told that where the leak is, is due to a bad crimp with the wrong mounting bracket and that the joint was too rusted to repair. Cosmetics aside, I figured I could patch it myself or at an old school muffler shop nearby, then I just decided to replace since Iā€™m having so much other work done at the same time.

Hello Scot! I am considering the straight through sport center silencers from Barratt for my '65 E. Iā€™ve searched and searched, but canā€™t find your final review of the mufflers once you changed them out last year. Iā€™m looking for louder than stock, but not obnoxious. What do you think of yours? Thank you for the update!

Hi Duke, Your first time postingā€¦so WELCOME!

I did purchase the Bell 304 SS sport exhaust. Frankly, I cannot tell the difference, but I have not driven the car so listening in the driveway may not be representative. I also am not fully convinced that what I bought is what was shipped as there were remnants of fiberglass in the mufflers. Anyway I think it works for me. It sure is pretty and went together easily.

Thank you Scot! The videos are very helpful! It sounds pretty good! Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

I fitted this system to my '62 this spring and it sounds amazing. The car finally sounds like a ā€˜sportsā€™ car. Perfect fit out of the box. I had a standard Bell stainless system before. Night and day difference.

1 Like

Yep they are rippers

I fitted the the Bell ( via SNGB ) system with straight through silencers to replace the rusty mild steel one that was on the car . Loudness at low revs is about the same , albeit a slightly different tone ) but it does get louder as the revs rise . I went for the polished one - very pretty , shame you cant see most of it . The only down side was the quality of the welding - some of the welds had gone through onto the inside of the pipes so they wouldnt slide into each other . Half an hour with a die grinder and electric drill and they finally fitted . :grimacing: