Use of flags in Avatar

I’m still ruminating. I’m somewhat physically diminished at the moment after surgery and I’m thinking slowly. This is a conflict between personal expression and offense over a “implied political opinions”.

Going by the letter of the law, the flag field says “Nationality”. That could be stretched to country of origin possibly. I don’t think it could stretched to, “who I favor in a complicated geopolitical standoff after a violent invasion”.

But, in an ideal world we could maybe learn to soften our focus a bit, and stop being offended at virtually everything we see. In no case do I see the flag being used as a deliberate insult, dig, taunt, derision, derogation, or flip off" It’s literally just saying “I like them”, or “I feel this way today” I’ve seen far worse flags on the back of people’s trucks in full view of children.

If we can’t achieve this tiniest element on an ideal little world here, then it will likely be elevated to an offense if someone drifts from the letter of the law. This is just my Junior moderator opinion.

4 Likes