Using a four post lift to drop the engine

Im looking for suggestions to use my four post lift to drop the engine with the wheels in place…just saw the post about this and am looking for suggestions.

You’re going to need optimally a hydraulic scissor lift table with the capacity to support the engine/gearbox assembly. Makes it a hell of a lot easier.

I’ve never tried this, but I would have thought that the critical bit would be getting the reaction plate out with the wheels on the ground and the suspension loaded.

You should be able to just put a trolley under the sump, unbolt the engine mounts etc and lift the car up off it.

Be interesting to see how you go.

Put the car on the lift and disconnect the upper balls joints, presto, no load.

Disconnect the front sway bar too.

If the car is in the air, a table or trolley under the engine, probably a support at the gearbox, the suspension is unloaded and with the reaction plate out of the way he could carefully drop the car onto the table and unbolt the engine :thinking:

How about the support for the car itself…The picts I saw used a 4x4 on jack stands under the frame somewhere

Heavey die cart is great.
Here I took it off the engine stand, and placing it back on the cart to reinstall.

Removeing an engine from below useing the 4 post lift is exactly the same as doing it on the ground …Steve

I just installed the motor on my 4 post lift. I built a table that doubled to install the rear end and engine. It worked really well. I would advise doing the same thing as I did.Processing: image.jpeg…strong text
Uploading: image.jpeg…

1 Like

Here’s a few more pictures

2 Likes

Nice work. Very tedious.

The car is going together a little against the norms. I did all the metal work, most of the plastic work. The restoration shop did all the fine tuning, painted the underside, firewall and frames.

I then took the car home to install the engine, suspension etc… to get it back on its wheels. It will then go back to the shop for the final fitting of the bonnet and doors. It will then have the outside painted and returned to me.

Thats pretty much how I did my first one,

How could you support the car if the hubs were installed

I built saw horses.

Pete, I removed my engine using my four post lift recently and it’s very straight forward and safe

Undo the upper ball joint, track rod end and sway bay and lower the lower wishbone using a turnbuckle to unload the torsion bars. Remove the reaction plate.

I support the car using MG screw jacks under the firewall floor connection.

Place a small floor jack under the gearbox and remove the gearbox support

Take the weight of the engine with an engine crane. Remove the large bolts on the engine mounts. Lift the engine slightly and remove the engine mounts.

Remove the jack under the gearbox and lower the engine onto a dolley

Raise the 4 post lift and wheel the engine from under the lift

In this photo you can see the MG screw jacks and blocks of wood under the car.

2 Likes

All you guys with your fancy shmancy lifts. Real men just need a tree.

3 Likes

Thanks I like this system,