[v12-engine] 74-E, Auto Rear Motor Mount

Can anyone provide or direct me to a picture or a detailed
description of the completed rear mount assembly for a 74 XKE auto?
The manuals and parts books show this in two views and I am having
trouble understanding how the two merge.–
mik74e
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

mik74e

Hi, I have just discovered your post. I have just done my rear engine mount on 72E. I understand the parts book is wrong. I can supply the correct order.
Regards
Dave Morrin 72 etype v12 S3.

Dave:
I have the same problem. i have a 1971 eke v12 2+2 auto and will be replacing the engine back into car soon.

I have all the pieces for the rear auto transmission mount, i think, but am not sure how to assemble them correctly.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will take pictures to help future owners with this issue, if i can get it right.

Thanks
Milton

Hi Milton
Would a photo suffice showing layout of parts, or would you like me to explain the procedure.

Dave

Photo sounds good.
Seams like it may not be too hard and looks like I have all the bits.
Large round plate with lip, mounts to rear of Tranny with main stud.
Then rubber damper for sprint fits into that round plate.
Then spring, with rubber damper at other end.
Then main mounting plate that receives that spring and damper.
The main plate has a hole that I assume is where the rubber bushing goes.
Then a steel spacer goes into that main plate bushing.
Place the main plate onto the stud compressing the spring and secure with tapered large washer and locking nut.
This is my idea anyway.
A picture may clarify.
Thanks
Milton

As they say “A picture is worth a thousand words” or in this case - a correction to the parts manual.

Dick

Milton, Hi. Can you provide your personal email so that I can send photos direct to dave.morrin@xtra.co.nz. Your description looks good, but I found it easier to push one spacer onto the shaft, then push spring resting on the main plate up onto the shaft. It is easier to push the plate up using a trolley jack with the jack covering the hole in the plate. With tension off the spring, feel with your hand that the spring is seated in the rubber damper. when the spring is seated apply pressure to plate and spring and align the retaining bolt holes. Fit the bolts to secure the plate but do not fully tighten. When bolted, remove the jack and align the shaft to be in the centre of the hole. With the shaft centred, push the special washer (with rounded sides) onto the shaft followed by the last bush onto the shaft. With a small socket on the trolley jack push both up onto the shaft and out of sight. When positioned remove the trolley jack then tighten the retaining plate bolts. Finally place the large flat washer onto the shaft to rest against the main plate and rubber bush, then tightening the self locking nut… I did the job with the front of car on vehicle ramps and lying on the ground. There is just enough height to put do the job with one hand. It is easier to rest the main plate with spring on the trolley jack then align with the shaft and raise. The rubber bush goes into the hole in the main plate, and should go in easily with compression by hand. Do not do what I did originally which was to sit the rubber bush on top of the plate. If done right the job should take about an hour (with a bit of swearing).