up for sale. My single point experience with ebay wasn’t very fruitful,
even though I didn’t expect a rush to bid on a nuclear magnetic resonance
spectrometer, response was meager (has been donated to a state
university).
If I do sell, I will need the original setup to replace them. I therefore
need some input on what would be the best way to offer these for sale and
the pickup of the replacement stromberg setup. Please respond offlist
Thanks, max

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

Max,
I have serious doubts that the Stromberg side draft carbs would work
anywhere near as well as the Weber downdrafts on a V12. I would suggest
getting in touch with someone who knows how to properly set them up. Is
your engine otherwise stock? I’ll check my Weber book and see if it has
jetting recommendations for the Jag V12.

– Dave Harvey

73 XJ12 0/0 lump
89 XJ-S V12 Marelli
70 Harley Sportster 900cc w/ Weber DCOE 40

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

Hello max, I have a 73 ots and I have always wanted to try a set of Weber’s. My original stombergs were professionally rebuilt last year and run perfectly. How about a trade. I could remove my entire intake system including carbs, manifolds, cross over pipes, aircleaners, linkage, choke and throttle tower. Every not bolt and grommet to bring you back to stock. You send me your Weber system and when I get tired of playing with it I’ll find someone else with a stock set up who wants to trade. ( The Weber’s are pricey so I should probably send you some money too). Give me a call 757 535 7199

Oops I just realized this post is 15 years old. If anybody else has Weber’s to trade let me know.

Yeah, that is the beauty of the Internet - old posts never die!

I have no idea why Max was complaining - 15 or 16 mpg from a carburated non-overdrive V12 is pretty good.

2 Likes

A good while since I’ve posted here. I have done serious modifications to the Weber system including externally adjustable fuel levels eliminating carb top removal The units are now fed fresh air from the front of the car. It has been almost 20 years endeavor to get this thing going. It is currently modified with later HE heads so that it is 11 to 1 compression or so. I have also fitted the Electromotive ignition system. I have also installed oxygen sensors to correctly tune the webers. someone (Michel) recently sent me a private note asking about electronic fuel injection. This obviously is enough of a headache to not even consider efi. Anyone entertaining webers straight up with hot air over the engine is wasting their time. I know, it took me long enough to find out. In The course of doing this I have had two little fires . Fortunately I have a fire extinguisher readily available wherever I go with the car and no damage except for a touch at the vents. Even the quick response is impeded by reaching for the latches and until I get this debugged I run with passenger unlocked. Plan on a CO2 setup as the powder extinguishers make a mess!

Max thats a long gestation period but good on you for persevering, has the MPG improved at all?

Robin

Still making final revisions. Had other distractions like working out of state for several years, rear end removal, wheel bearings, the other xke, etc. As good as it sounds it’s still not where I want it and now replacing carb linkages with stainless. My prototype has surface rust so out they go. Also appears I fried the Oxy Gage’s so another pair on order. Plan on mounting above dashboard for continuous fuel viewing. I don’t give up easily but have come close!