V12 engine request for info

I need some photos/measurements of V12 thermostat housings. If your engine is “dry” at the moment, then 15 minutes of your time and a couple of snaps with your cell is all I would need.

I’m your Huckleberry

I have a spare LH and RH thermo housing (with ~34K miles on’em) and a 6" rule (150 mm on the other side) as well as a vernier caliper good to 6 or 8 inches.

Whatcha need?

Thanks, Craig.

What I need is an exact (as accurate as you can) measurement of the depth of the bypass lip below the thermostat flange. I need the vertical distance, so it may be tricky to measure. It will probably be 42mm, but I need to be sure and I need the measurement on both left & right sides. These are identified as (1) and (2) respectively on this annotated photo.

Also, if you could take a photo of each housing looking straight down the throat at the bypass, that would be helpful. If you don’t mind, I’s like to put these photos into an essay on my site.

Mike

Would it be more useful if I mail both housings to you, you take all the measurements/photos you need and then return them to me? The tear-down of my engine won’t occur until late this year or even early next. I bought these as spares cuz there is hardly any corrosion on them – I suspect the housings on my engine are in worse shape and “they” will become my spares after the rebuild.

Let me know.

Craig

Wow, that is generous. If you get them packaged up, I’ll send you a UPS call tag. All you’d have to do is drop them at a UPS store or drop box. I’ll have them back to you in a week. Thanks so much.

No problem whatsoever. Too easy.
I suspect I’ll benefit from the essay you are drafting; failing that it’ll help the V12 community

What do you need from me for this UPS call tag? Address? E-Mail address? Phone? other . . .

Craig

Your e-mail address is all I need.

craigbalzer14735@gmail.com

Got it.
I’ll get to a UPS store or drop box tomorrow

Mine was also 42mm. Please tell us if your thermostats move enough to positively close the bypass ports.

I wish I had something to offer you, but not yet. I seems the design height for the fully open thermostat was just short of the bypass lip. No idea why they would have done that.

When I started my thermostat write up, I thought one quick page would exhaust the topic. It’s now a small book, and I’m thinking I’ll publish it one chapter at time.

1 Like

Mike

I sent the thermostat housings from the UPS Store in Falcon CO this morning (SAT 13JUL19).
The clerk said it’d arrive as early as Wednesday but more likely Thursday (19JUL19).

Craig

Mike,
I’m sure you’ll get more than few chapters if you enter marek and thermsostat into the search function. See also the photo albums in the old site as the thermostats you can buy today may be different from the ones I tested years ago, all from v12 housings I had in the loft. Most of them are probably still up there.
kind regards
Marek

Thanks, Craig. I’ll get it back to you in a week.

Marek:

I’ve plowed through hundreds of posts between here and the UK forum. What I think I’ll do is publish one section a month, and then correct anything that needs fixing based on comments. Your work is generally helpful, so I’ll look forward to see what you have to say.