Vacuum diagrams and coolant pipes and connectors

Hello Fellow forum members.

My name is Jordan Rocca. I own Moonglo Auto Repair in Sudbury Ontario. I am currently working on a beautifull 1989 Jaguar XJ-S with a TWR kit… The clients initial complaint was smoke on startup. The old owner of this business (I just bought it in November) diagnosed potential head gasket issue. This was back in September 2022… He had removed the distributor the ignition coils wires and that was it. All he had removed…

I left for school during that period. And when I got back he now moved down south I was the owner and now I had to dismantle the heads etc…

Fast forward to July 2023… I have now gotten the heads back from machine shop. Pitting from wet deck was all tig welded filled and the head shaved 0.0010" max tolerance. I have the heads on new gaskets timing done valve covers on and the coolant pipes that bolt to each head…

Here is my dilema… It has been so long and ALL the pictures I took basically render me useless as I only took pictures of everything assembled… not each leg of the tear down… so I can’t see where some vacuum lines go (and holy smokes is there ever a lot !!) I am having a very hard time getting everything routed properly. I have the old manual and I can’t really understand it too well. I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out where the base distributor vent hoses go. I found the passenger side goes to the little filter in the LH fender. But the Driver side vent port. Where does that go? Also. There is a nipple 5/8” on the RH coolant pipe about at the rear of the head. Where does that connect too? And does anyone have any experience with all these vacuum lines or diagrams are are easy to read? This clients been so patient and I feel so bad and disgusted about this. Never again ! I didn’t label bolts nothing. Idk what I was thinking but this has been a nightmare. I have the capabilities to do it. It’s just so long and I forget where some coolant pipes and vacuum lines go. Other than that I’m sure i’ll be fine most connectors are labeled which is nice!!

Thanks in advance!

Find a 1989 XJS parts book.

I have the one for my 83 XJS, it shows every part and where it goes, and gives a good pictorial to go by so you can determine how it goes together.

1 Like

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any tips on where to source one?

Jaguarlandroverclassic.com. has parts breakdown pictures.

Ebay a source for buying a parts manual.

This forum has tons of threads about vacuum diagrams. Use search function in the archives and be prepared to spend time looking through the threads.

Shows there is what looks to be an original print (January 1989) one ebay.

I prefer the original print ones than the DVD ones, but if the print ones were not available, then DVD it would be.

Jordan, the vacuum “vent” hose in your post goes to a plastic fitting located just ahead of the aux air valve at the rear of the LHS cylinder head. Behind the air cleaner box.
The 5/8 fitting could be the water supply hose for the heater.

I found a couple of links that have good parts diagrams. One is for XJS and the other is for the XJ12 (I think the engines are very similar ?)

Might be of some use. Some good diagrams

Unless they’ve been removed, there should be two or three vacuum diagrams on the underside of the hood/bonnet. If the hood is off the car, you might have missed them.

The only helpful picture from the ROM.

Sean Straw’s website has the under hood diagrams.

Hello All, thank you for the diagrams. That is all great stuff. I have a couple questions… The throttle return springs on the throttle body. I can’t seem to find where they both go too. Down to the manifold somewhere?

Also above mentioned the distributor vent hoses… someone mentioned one goes to a little plastic fitting. Is this plastic fitting attached to the rubber hose that goes from the back of the air cleaner housing to the coolant pipe on the LHS head?

Thank you.

EDIT**** I found the brackets for the two 10mm bolts. That housed the bracket for the springs… I do however still would like to know where the second hose for the distributor go. I also have an extra vacuum hose with a green clamp on it spring type with a pink stripe.

If I remember correctly the second line goes here

Ah yes!!! Thank you! That is perfect I thought so too. Here is the line I do not know where it goes

Also does anyone know where the hoses go for these 3 solenoids.

This goes to the cross over on the center of the intake.

I think this is where that is:

Hello All!

Finally got all the rest of the parts in. Engine is all together. I have ONE line that I can’t for the life of me figure out. I got every vacuum hose now routed and straightened out. The only one is the Blue Air Injection solenoid. I have one hose going to the RH manifold. The other end. No clue… The picture above shows a red disc. I do not know if it’s because this is a mirelli car or not but I do not have that red disc. I looked all over… It’s the last hose! The blue air injection solenoid.

So from research it looks like that’s a vacuum advance solenoid that should go to the distributor? This engine nor distributor has a vacuum advance. Am I mistaken? Also on the right bank A bank… ontop of the throttle body there is a nipple. But it has a cap… Could this line be meant to go there? I literally can not find another place.

Is this the one you’re still working on?