Veneer finish on my MKII

OK lets try this again I created a post and for some reason it vanished when I posted it so I will try again.

attached are two pictures of my wood and yes I am well aware that the center console is from a Type but I like it so I am fitting it to my 64 MKII, its a lot of work but even for an amateur like me I think the finish is good and it save me a lot of money.

Hope you like it.

Gary

Looks great, I still need to learn doing this myself on a 420g!

That’s a lot of wood I found of course YouTube being a great source for how to do it just take your time you might need to buy a few special tools such as a heat gun a lot of clamps and special tools for veneer such as veneer tamer and a decent glue watch the videos on YouTube and they will guide you and of course depending on the finish you need you have to buy lots of different grades of sandpaper

You can always contact me off the register and I will tell you what I know but I am no expert

I have been doing the 43 pieces on my 420G for a few years now.

Gary, did you lay new veneer, and what top coat did you use ?

I have done a lot of experimentation, including lay new veneer…the new veneer is a bit darker than the original 420G wood, which is a light tan.

Also tried various single and 2 pac finishes

most of the veneer is original, some I have made surgical repairs upon. still got about 10 more to complete

Wet sanding is your friend.

If you do any veneer replacements make sure you seal the wood before gluing or the glue is likely to bleed through the venner making finish splotchy looking.

I’m not sure, but I think you need a headlamp switch from one of the saloons with the wood center - either that or you leave off some (3?) standoffs.

Yes I put in new veneer and they do seem to be a bit darker but when you spray the veneer with ‘tamer’ it lightens them a bit.
I finished them with Miniwax high gloss spray and the took it down with 800/1000/3000 paper in a orbital sander and then used a cutting and polishing compound using special pads on my sander.