VIDEO... Distributor shaft fitting

I have seen this done a couple of times before and it always looks a bit of a struggle. Maybe I was lucky but it went on sweet for me.

In the 120/7 book B. 32 appears to suggest the slot in the distributor drive should be parallel with the crankshaft center line. This may have changed but I’m not sure when. I think 4.2 engines use 11 & 5 o’clock but with a rather different distributor.

Yes it does .
When was it changed to 5 to 5 ? I can’t seem to find an answer .

It does seem I am ring wrong with shaft position. I have offered up the dizzy and it is out. Could someone confirm the position of the shaft and I will edit the video?
Thanks Jim

3.4 had the slot parallel to crank…just pull the crank gear forward and turn the shaft until it will be lined up properly when the crank gear is pushed back home…two or three teeth is how far the shaft moves as the gear is pushed home. The archives will tell you which “half” of the slot should be closest to the block but this is not critical, although I’m sure Rob remembers.

Way too late for this advice now, but I before I remove them, I put punch marks on the brass bushing and the gear. The bushing only goes in one way, then I only have to align the punch marks. Makes reassembly much quicker.

Thanks Fellas
I had convinced myself I was wrong. It is number 6 ( front)that should be fireing so I should be able to reduce that from the distributor cap and leads if they were correct to start with?

I have replaced the video with an added edit at the end regarding the slot position . Please let me know if I have anything wrong .
Jim

Yes, the subject came up in 2016.

Thanks Rib for highlighting that thread, I couldn’t find anything relevant.