VIN number E-type series 3 OTS

I am about to buy a restored US car in Sweden but can’t find the 17 digits VIN number. All other numbers are correct, but in order to get a Heritage Certificate I’d like to find this number. Does it exist on this car?

Regards
/Anders

Hejsan Anders,

What do you mean”17 digit”?

V12 E-types had an original chassis number like this:

LHD (non North America):

1S2XXXX (manual OTS 7 digits)
1S2XXXXBW (automatic OTS, 9 digits)
1S7XXXX (manual 2+2 / FHC, 7 digits)
1S7XXXXBW (automatic 2+2 / FHC, 9 digits)

In North America they also had (first time for Jaguar) a two digit prefix defining the “model year” with the V12 E-types starting from

UC = 1972
UD = 1973
UE = 1974

So the VIN for an US car could be 9 digits if a manual and 11 digits if an automatic car.

Cheers!

Ps. Supposedly it should have started with XJ6 and UA = 1970, UB = 1971 but I have not personally seen those, some California cars have had a three digit prefix starting from “J62” up to “J69” and even “J70” but not anymore on the Series 3 1971 →

Hello Anders,
The VIN is found stamped in the sloping part of the fire wall on the LH Side of the car, near where the pedal box for a LH car is mounted; it’s quite hard to see, but it is there in that location for both L and RH Cars.

For US Cars in particular, but I’ve seen the same for cars delivered to other countries, there should be a metal VIN label pop riveted to the inside LH windscreen pillar, on the inside of the car. If the car has been restored, there is a reasonable chance that the windscreen metal tag has been removed and not reattached.

Brent

As highlighted the Series 3s do not have VIN numbers (your 17 digit number) as they predate the introduction of the VIN system. The Etype has two numbers - the Car Number (also the Chassis Number) and the body number.

The Car/Chassis number is the one you are looking for and take the format as outlined above and also as mentioned is stamped on the firewall but is hard to read. It will also appear on the nomenclature plate rivetted to the firewall and if still there there will be plate at the rear of the car near the number plate (but covered by the stainless number plate panel).

Thanks for quick replies. The car is probably to old to have a VIN. I’ve found the car number on several places just as described.
/Anders

Hi,

Nice! On Swedish plates already?

Do you have it on www.xkedata.com yet?

Original colour? Looks like “Turquoise”, very rare nowadays! :+1:

Cheers!

Hi Pekka
Registered in Sweden 2016. I had it carefully tested today and we closed the deal tonight. You are correct about the colour, wich is original as well. This is my third E-type, but it was over 15 years since last Jaguar.
Best regards to all of you
/Anders

Anders,
As others have stated the identification system used (Chassis Number/Body Number) predates the introduction and requirement for the 17 digit VIN system in use today.
There is one more place that may or may not have vital information recorded. If you fold down the instrument panel there was a white sticker attached to the panel back denoting date, last 4 digits of Body Number, Drive (LH/RH) and AC (air conditioning) and destination country. Not sure if the date corresponds to the car build or panel build date.

From this tag the panel was constructed for car Body Number 3707 on Feb 1, 1973, LHD with A/C, destined for the USA. A lot of info on such a small tag. Hopefully yours is still there.
Beautiful color… The round tag is 1-inch in diameter in case you want to fabricate a new one.
Enjoy,

Dick

Hi Anders,

Well, welcome back!

I have driven through Sweden in a Jaguar quite a few times, latest was in November 2020 with the XJ6C.

I’m on my second E-type, #1S20183 OEW/Black originally sold in Belgium. We were in Sundsvall with it in 2015 and Vadstena in 2018.

Cheers!

Nice to hear. I also had an XJC 6 from 1975. A fantastic car which I bought in Switzerland. With all windows down is it a piece of art.

1 Like