Vintage E type coupe luggage

Can anyone give me details on what original era luggage would have been used on a mid 60’s E type Jag? Brands of the era?
Just wondered what would be authentic, for red interior 1965 coupe.
Thanks,
John

Jaguar offered their ‘Airport’ suitcases as an option:

wCV1RW1

David

2 Likes

I bought an unusual looking suitcase at a flea market just because all the hardware was branded ‘Cheney’ (same logo as on the clamps). I suspected (and still wonder if) it might have been custom luggage for a Brit car - but alas it does not match anything in that Jaguar ad.

I did find an old Samsonite suitcase that had a trapezoidal profile which perfectly matched the slope of the OTS bootlid - that goes with me everywhere.

C. W. Cheney & Son Ltd were manufacturers of locks, latches, clips, buttons and hinges. The hinges and locks were extensively used on suitcases, briefcases, musical instrument cases and travel luggage, so not solely for the automotive industry. The Cheney clips they produced were also used in a variety of industries along with automotive. They were the world leader in the supply of locks and hinges for cases and their hardware is found extensively.

David

Does anyone know how the luggage in an E coupe was secured? I see no area for leather straps to attach. Just wondered how they were secured?
And would a red interior car have red luggage?
Thanks,
John

They were not secured other than by the folding luggage board preventing them hitting the back of the seats/drivers head. Jaguar assumed the rubber rail inserts would be sufficient.

As far as I know there were no colour options. Different times!

David

Do you know what color was the original one?
Thanks,
John

Cream or Grey with gold trim.

David

David,
Can you advise the brand, or was it Jaguar supplied?
And is it possible to find an original set? Just wondered what it was called to try to find a set. Pictures?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
John

All I know is that is was supplied by Jaguar as their “Airport” luggage. They were made by an outside company, probably J. B. Brooks of Birmingham, who were famous for their ‘Antler’ range of luggage. They pioneered air travel cases, with rich linings and fabrics like lizard skin ‘Vynide’ which Jaguar extolled in their brochure.

The Jaguar ‘Airport’ luggage was unique in that it had the Butyrate Vinyl golden ‘bumper’ bands to protect the cases as can be seen in the brochure. I do not believe this was seen on any other J. B. Brooks (or Antler brand) cases. They were available in Ivory or Charcoal Grey and had hard shells covered in Vynide as suitcases and companion cases (with jars for cosmetics etc).

David

I’m looking at that set of two suitcases for the E-Type OTS and wondering how many tools I can get in them for a long road trip…hmmmmm…

Sigh…why did it have to be cars? And why British sports and GT cars? Of all the addictions, I get stuck with CARS.

I just sold two vehicles and bought only one so we finally only have three cars in a three car garage so no swapping of cars on/off the lift during the winter.

And then I see this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956-ac-aceca/

That Aceca is just staring back at me begging me to bid.

Cars…why cars?

Oh well, I suppose it’s better and cheaper than a lot of other vices, so what the hell, right?

Anyway, beautiful luggage. Thanks, Jerry, for that link.

3 Likes

Yes, there are times when life would be simpler if I had chosen to collect, say, shot glasses, little spoons or those Precious Moments® figurines.

Simpler, but no where near as much fun.

1 Like

If you collected those you could go to their facility just outside Carthage, Missouri.

Be warned however, that you may require counseling and therapy afterwards. :grin:

1 Like

MORE than once, in 50+ years of serious addiction, I have now arrived at the two answers that seem most germaine.

-It’s my parents’ fault, and;
-as Socrates responded, when he was asked what love is, responded, “It is a grave mental disease.”

:yum: