Visual difference between a 2.8 and 4.2? Just checked out a rust free 73 california car

It’d hafta be VERY hot rodded to get under 15 seconds.

I going for 16.7 SEC …

That colour might be primrose. Certainly for e types, have never seen a yellow XJ6.

16.4 seconds if the modifications did anything (probably not much), and would be primrose from the available colours that I found.

Very nice. Yes, '73 was a transition year at British Leyland, they owned Jaguar at the time, lots of labor strikes and component supplier defects, though all that should have been ironed out decades ago on yours. I see it is Short Wheelbase, Series 1 in front and Series 2 in back. The interior may tell another interesting story of those transition years.

What makes it series 2 in back? I’ve looked a lot and I’m not seeing a difference.

Also, I found a guy parting on a series 1 XJ6, he’s using the suspension as a donor for a race car. He already sold the bumpers and didn’t have hub caps, but he’s hooking me up with the reverse light lenses, and a few other trim parts. Is there anything else I should ask him to grab?

Larger chrome trunk release decoration. Earlier cars have little wings.
A cursory examination of xj.collectordata.com suggests that the transition may have occurred after car 1L69840BW and before car 1L69957BW, but a parts catalogue may give more definitive information.

The little wings per Rob and the 4.2 litre decal. Strictly shouldn’t have the Jaguar badge. Paul

I’ve seen a lot of photos of US spec cars with the S2 type boot plinth, but they still have the bumper mounted number plate light. On S2, the light is in the plinth. Have a look on XJ6data.com, they are commonplace.

Aw, that is super disappointing. One of the reasons I bought this was I thought it was a series 1, and instead I have some sort of mongrol half breed. Oh well. Maybe I can retrofit the wings? Now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

In regards to parts, anybody have a list of things I should ask for, commonly bad pieces on these things? The guy is going to crush it next week, so I need to give him some time to pull anything. I’m basically just paying shipping costs to get htem, so more small things than big things.

Is there a reason I have one vented headlight trim, and one non vented trim? On a lot of the cars I see dual vents.

Late S1 had the clunky light. Wings can be fitted, but plate lighs need solving.

Both should be the same.

Since it’s a late S1 both should be vented - check for the pull air knob and is there a enclosed funnel or is it just empty space all the way up? On the unvented side?

The front bumper has weird horns too. Quite funny.
Get all the chrome pieces and interior parts you can have. The light in the trunk, pumps, door caps, shifter, gas caps, the panels under the rear bumper, all the badges, and the headlights complete. Interior light plastic. Switchgear and instruments always worth saving even if as spare. The overflow tank and the large water drain snorkel for the inlet to the heater.
And he should save the front fenders that are getting rare around here as far as I know. Is the chrome trim around the windows painted black?
If the gigantic trunk handle has no lights you can keep the bumper and install a S2 handle.

You will need to find pictures of complete late S1s (XJ6data.com) and get everything you don’t have now rather than later.

What did you mean by pumps?

Ok, so I’m not in any need of sheet metal, but if anyone is, this guy is located in Ohio. Fenders, doors, quarters, and even the rear under valance stuff all look pretty clean. Hood, suspension, bumpers, and most of the interior is gone already.

Fuel pumps, one for each tank.

I think that you do have a Series 1. Perhaps has a Series 2 boot lid. Paul.

No, I wouldn’t call it a mongrel. I would call it a '73 S1. That’s the way they were. Your license plate lights are in that chrome piece, so I would leave it as is. I regret mentioning it if it makes you think the car is tainted in any way.

Jaguar and all other car makers were faced with ever changing government regulations in that period; headlights, side marker lights, emissions, passenger impact protection, and 5 mph front collision damage protection for lights for instance. My '74 S2 has the “1974 only” raised front rubber bumper for that reason. If you look in the trunk and find the word “Federal” that’s what it means, it complies with the US Federal laws. I don’t know, but maybe the license plate light was due to another government regulation.

It can be confusing to someone new to the marque. The E-Type (aka XKE) people talk about their Series 1-1/2 and even 1968-1/2 model year cars with various government mandated changes, the first being raised and uncovered headlights.

That primrose yellow appears on my '71 colour chip card and it’s growing on me though I think it would have been quite a brave choice. Looks pretty good in the daylight and a very 70’s california colour I think. Also it’s a nice light colour (that isn’t white) in an area where that there’s a lot of sun, so it would keep the car cooler.

I really wouldn’t worry about a boot (sorry trunk) plinth or even too much about the other rear badging, they may well be correct for that car in any case and really doesn’t affect aesthetics that much.

You’re almost certainly going to have plenty of other higher priority stuff to do once you get into this car to make it run & drive well. Maybe you can promise yourself you’ll sort the badging & trunk when you’ve finished the car… that may be a while yet