Voltage at the coil XK120

I love a happy ending!
Nice work!

seems the rebult distibutor/vac unit fixed you ā€œeven runningā€ miss. I would bet the vac unit was the issueā€¦as it comes into play at even running revsā€¦but anyway good to hear that issue is resolved. What point gap did Distributor Dr recommendā€¦and what plug gap? In my opinionā€¦admit that I do not know your engine beyond what you have describedā€¦but it seems nice and strong with high compression, It may beā€¦that the BP6ES , one stage colder, may be a better spark plug. Curious if you spark plug wires are fairly low or zero resistance. Many new made spark plug wires are made for super hi voltage of new carsā€¦but if it is running well nowā€¦great. What flywheel-static ignition timing did you end up withā€¦? Did Distributor Dr recommend a timing?
Nick

For the ā€œold schoolā€ among us who still cling to points and condensers. Back in the day, both Lucas and ReMax produced transparent distributor caps for the DVX6 distributors so that technicians could view the inner workings with the engine running.

Itā€™s hard to see the sparking in daylight, but it is kind of fun watching the rotor go round and round.

1 Like

Hi,

I have one of those also for the MKV, :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Nick, the vacuum unit was always disconnected on the old distributor that was on the car, so it canā€™t have had any bearing on the misfire. The replacenment distributor is now connected with the new correct copper pipe. I checked the points gap, and it was set at .015". I have the higher lift distributor cam. I chose the BP5ES plugs (set at .025") because of possible oil fouling. Perhaps unwisely, I stuck with the original type valve guides without the grooves for seals, so consequently I get quite a cloud of blue smoke on start up due to oil having got by the guides into the cylinders. It burns off after half a minute or so. I thought the hotter plug might be less prone to oil fouling. My plug wires are zero resistance copper wire core type. I havenā€™t discussed plug gaps or static ignition timing with Martin. The engine seems happier with 6 degs advance than with 10 degs (vacuum disconnected, of course). I suppose the more efficient B-Type head requires less initial advance than the original A-Type?
Chris

Chrisā€¦I think you are fine with the 5ā€¦or the 6 (colder) heat rangeā€¦just a matter of test drivesā€¦and what kind of driving you do, and the same with timingā€¦and plug gap, I have used 022 025 and now settled in at .028, but Iā€™d get an opinion from Martinā€¦and others who know the B head and your set up. Iā€™sstill suspect vac unit in your prior even throttle missā€¦as no vac unit is like a vac unit with broken diaphramā€¦even throttle is where it matters. No vac on race cars is because they donā€™t do even cruise throttleā€¦it is pretty much WOT or brakes. the distributor people I have worked with on a few car set upsā€¦wanted to know everything about my engine/carbs etcā€¦to set the distributor and to then also recommend the timing , plugs, gap etc. to go with the distributor they built. Glad it is running well now. Nick

Nick,
it was running OK without the vacuum connected last year, but the steady speed misfire started to develop all on its own during the winter and spring. The car wasnā€™t being driven anywhere, just backed in and out of the garage and warmed up a bit. I can only think that the advance weights may have started seizing up, or getting sticky at least, due to lack of use or dried up lubricant. But at least it seems fine, now!
Chris

Wouldnā€™t it be nice to have the distributor that accessable on an XKā€¦!?!