Voltage Regulator label

The connections on the back of the voltage regulator on my '38 SS were filthy, with some circuits not making good contact, so I took all the wires off, while labeling each one. They seem to mostly follow the 1939 wiring diagram D378 from Ripaults sent to me by Ed or Peter, but with a couple of extra wires to the fog lights.

On the back under all the wires I found this paper label.
Anybody know what it said?
I can make out AUX HOT IGN black & w A1

Another odd thing I noticed, all the connection screws seem to have some kind of red thread locking glue on them. Anybody else seen that?

Rob
It’s possible that it says " Help, I am being held prisoner in a factory in Browns Lane Coventry."
Other wise it may be a list of what the fuses are for
Red locking glue , sounds like Locktite. although I’ve never found it to be needed and don’t know its electrical contact qualities.
What you might consider is a tray under the petrol pumps above this regulator to divert any stray seeping of petrol from the pump into Sparkenkerboomenland

There have been a number of cars lost from that.

Ah Sparkenkerboomenland - I remember visiting that delightful place a couple of years ago in my Mercedes 350SL! :cry::

A reminder to all - Don’t trust 40 y.o. rubber fuel lines !

Rob,

Best I can read from top to bottom:

Top row S on both terminals
Next row H on the right hand side
Next row A4 on the left , IGN in the middle
Next row A4 on the left, AUX in the middle, A3 on the right
Last row A2 on the left and A1 on the right

Might be wrong.

The red could possibly be a varnish they painted on to secure the screws. Also looks like fuel vapour deposit if that is remotely possible?

Matt

1 Like

Thanks, guys. Not a map to Captain Flint’s treasure, then? Or “The Prince of Darkness will strike here 80 years from now.”
So useful to have the fuses labeled in a place where anyone can see them. :roll_eyes:
And so clever to cram 39 wires into such a small space, and not give me about 1 inch more of slack in the harness.
The red varnish is also on the connections on the instrument panel, the brake light switch and the junction box in the boot, so probably not fuel deposits.
So if nobody else has it, I imagine a PO must have been Mr. Fastidious.
I have already replaced the fuel hose of unknown age, and will be sure to stay away from Sparkenkerboomenland.

Of course Ed’s extra (unnecessary) fuel pump doubles the likelihood of fuel leaks.

Peter :wink:

There are little brass tags on the fuse holders that give some clues to what is supplied.

Peter

Yea, but it also doubles the chances of him MAKING it to the movie set…

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Yes, I saw those, but there is another little trick you also have to know about, that the wiring diagram shows the regulator and fuses as viewed from the BACK, thus in opposite order.
Talking it over with my brother, he suggested that maybe they started with the regulator and harness on a bench, connected all those wires first, then fed it all through the body, and built the rest of the car around it. But the harness is also attached to the chassis. I don’t know, I guess it could be done that way, but they gave no thought to the poor sod who would have to change the regulator some day. It would be interesting to know exactly the order of assembly.
If the paper was from the man in the iron mask he might still be at Foleshill. Too late to rescue him from Browns Lane, nothing left there now but streets named after our heros of the faith.

Yes the regulator is like a city’s main railway station lines… everythng converging at one point. My thory is that when the wiring looms were made, they had a dummy regulatot with terminals in the orderto beused on the car. And itwas attached to this before binding. This would avoid the wires criss crossing i n a small space, and make it easier[ and as Bill might think’ Quicker , and cheaper] to hook up on the car. WE have done roughly thid in the past… Ansif they didn’t do it then , and now, there should have.

He is another image. Different than Peters.