Vredestein Sprint Classics in Cold Weather

So, before Jerry passed, we had a good discussion on this point. We always wondered what the treadwear equivalent rating was for the Vred sprint classic compared to the other tires sold through the Tirerack. When Tirerack started carrying it, our ?? were answered. With a UTQG rating of 220, the rubber on these tires is as close to autocross as you can go with a street legal tire. they are very soft, and made for summer performance, with a w speed rating. They will not perform well as the weather gets colder.

Many of the other tires mentioned here, including the Michelin Touring tires, are all season tires, have much lower speed ratings, and have a much higher UTQG rating, meaning they will perform better in cold weather, use a much harder rubber and thus will have a much longer wear life. The drawback is that their grip will be significantly compromised compared to a pure summer tire in warm weather, meaning that in warm weather your summer tire will give you much higher limits on handling and typically much shorter stopping distances (sometimes as much as 15-20% shorter). On the other hand, that all season tire may give you shorter stopping distances when the temps approach 0.

As they say, horses for courses. if your uses dont require the limits handling of the Vreds in warm weather, but can take advantage of the all weather grip and longevity of some of the modern all season tires, then buy them. Either way it’s a compromise and it all depends on what you are willing to compromise.

Diamondback tires down south
They have been around for years
They can also remove the lettering and mold in red lines, gold , blue
Any trick they can do
It’s great you get new tires with old school looks
Done it for years!
As for speed ratings I really doubt many drive these cars…
I mean actually drive the car…
For myself and three other people who do
Imho the Michelin is rated overall
The best all round
I would trust the Michelin s at any speed over the others
They make a billion tires a day and I’ve never heard of a complaint for our use
Plus I’m old the NOISE factor to me is huge
Michelins are dead quiet
But if I want to go fast I have my other red car!