"Wacky TRAC-y Issue"

Was driving Harlem to my office last week when the orange warning light came on (along with the “brake symbol” to the right of the c.e. light) and the dash readout indicating that “TRAC is not available” and then “ABS is not available”. This went off at the next start up, and no sign of it until this week when, yesterday, it came on again as I got near the office and this time would not go out when I drove it to various places around town that day. This a.m. I started the car up and, again, no sign of it until I almost got to the office. The only thing I had done to the car this a.m. before I started it up was to check the oil level, btw. I notice there is a “no TRAC” button on the dash, but pressing it several times didn’t make the lights go off. :crazy_face:

Any idea what is going on here, and is it something I have reason to worry about (e.g. my brakes might suddenly go out)? Otherwise, they seems to work fine. Is a level of something low? I did try to check the brake fluid reservoir, but I couldn’t get the cap loose for some reason. :angry:

btw, if this looks like something that is going to involve a lot of labor and/or $$s, is there any way to shut off the warning until then? It drives me nuts. :crazy_face:

Paul, next time it happens can you stop and check if the stop lights are on when the engine is running and the car s in park? Also is cruise disabled at the same time?
I have had this on my 308 and it was the brake/cruise control switch malfunctioning.
It may respond to being sprayed with contact cleaner but also may need replacement.

May be that your ABS sensors could stand a cleaning.
John

There are several different TEVES ABS systems fitted (TEVES MKIV or TEVES MK20) to Jaguar sedans (X300/X308). A MAKE/MODEL/YEAR would help diagnose the system.

Without the DTCs we can all guess about wheel speed sensors or pump motor circuit board pins, but the module already has the info stored.

Read the ‘C’ (chassis) codes and you will have the answer for diagnosing the problem.

bob

Here are the DTC guide for each system.

ABS_teves_mkIV.pdf (59.9 KB)
ABS_teves_mk20_X100_X308.pdf (54.2 KB)

bob

Could be dirt mud on one of the wheel sensor teeth.

or the ABS unit (behind headlight) may need resoldering.

The brakes will work fine, just without the ABS function. (useful in an emergency on wet road)

Dang, Bob … I figured you would remember by now that Harlem is my '00 X-308! :grin:

Well yesterday, the lights came on about halfway to the office. Same thing when I went back home last night. However, she made it all the way to the office today w/o them coming on (it was a bit cooler out today, if that makes any difference). I’ll check the CC thing someone suggest earlier, but I’m thinking that’s probably not the issue. btw, I wondered where the ABS mechanism was on our X-308s, and here I was tearing off the facia up near the firewall on either side, as that is where it was on the X-300s and XJ40s, IIRC. Never would have guessed Jag relocated it to a spot behind a headlight! :open_mouth: We also are supposed to have rain this week for the first time in a long time, so maybe if it is a dirty sensor issue that might clear it up. ? btw, when the incident first happened, I did check with my OBD II scanner and it didn’t show anything amiss (other than the upstream O2 sensor on the driver’s side bank, which I have bought but still need to change out.).

Thanks, Bob. I guess that would get to the bottom of the matter pretty fast, if only I had a Jaguar PDU. :frowning_face:

I wish I had a PDU also. They are pretty much scarce and obsolete for all the OBDII cars (1996 onward). PDU was replaced in 1998 by WDS.

They are the only thing that will communicate with the 1988 to 1995ish Jaguars. (WDS will NOT communicate with the OBDI Jaguars)

I have 3 WDS and 2 IDS setups so I am good-to-go on all the Jags from 1995/96 up to about 2009.

Just have the ABS module scanned for codes and let us know.

bob