Walbro 255 pump went bad - What's an off the shelf alternative?

As the title says - pump went bad - it was whining like crazy for the past few months and then the car started sputtering a bit today under load. Seems like the fuel pump is on it’s way out so I’d like to get one off the shelf and keep driving (without having to wait for internet delivery).

Does any one know a cross reference part for the Walbro 255 fuel pump that I could pick up at Napa or Autozone?

Thanks!

Wow!

1. Sure it is the pump and not a clogged filter that is causing the pump to labor ?

2. Walbro is an old time maker of fuel stuff. Including little carbs for one lung engines.

A oood counter person at Autozone or a NAPA store might recognize it, have one I stock and/or cross reference a replacement.

1. Any “speed shop” in your neighborhood? Good place to look.

2. A pick and pull nearby? A similar Jaguar in residence ? Get it’s Bosch. Crossing four fingers and a similar number of toes, the original Bosch in my car does just fine…

3. Might look and see what “more modern” cars use an inline pump. So many use submerged pump sensors…

Carl.

I get mine from Summit, delivery in two days or less. I carry a new spare in my trunk and have pre and post pump filters. They are really sensitive to low voltage…confirm you have battery voltage at the pump and the ground is good.

Ground and power is good - pump has been squeaking and squealing for a while now. I actually have the pre pump filters (the little silver ones) and a large post pump filter.

I think i had a kink in the fuel line on the pre pump side for a bit before I fixed it and I think that might have started the pump to decline.

Ordered a couple cheapos off eBay - figure is give them a shot and to help make sure everything is ok before going back to the expensive walbro.

I use a Bosch 044 pump p/n 0 580 254 044 on my Lump LS1 5.7 L engine. Have had no problems in nearly 3 years of continuous running.

Regards Rob

Tyler,

Fuel Pumps for V12 & V8::

Stock Replacement– Bosch 0 580 464 070: 130 lph, 34 gph, 213 lbs/hr, @ 3 Bar, 6.5 amps @ 13.5 volts - turbine pump.

Option – Walbro GSL 391 (190 lph): 181 lph, 48 gph, 297 lbs/hr, @ 3 Bar, 6.1 amps @ 13.5 volts – gerotor pump.

Option – MSD 2225: 193 lph, 51 gph, 316 lbs/hr, @ 3 Bar, 6.1 amps @ 13.5 volts - roller vane pump. Has 3/8-in. hose nipple Inlet, 5/16-in. hose nipple Outlet.

Option – Walbro GSL 392 (255 lph): 250 lph, 66 gph, 409 lbs/hr, @ 3 Bar, 9.2 amps @ 13.5

was that a real walbro or the ebay/amazon chineseum copy?

The ones i got were all Chinese Walbro 255 knock offs - tried a few different ones.

However, I discovered the problem was less about the pump and more about a kink in the rubber hose leading from the fuel tank through the sidewall into the trunk - either the hose had softened over the years or the tank shifted slightly when i installed the tank… either way, the hose was kinked just enough to starve the pumps of fuel, which is why they were so loud and i kept getting all sorts of strange readings from my PCM.

Ever since I fixed the kink in the hose… no problems… so i’d recommend one of the Chinese cheapies if you’re in a bind.