Walnut burl wheel

ok, figured it out i think. thanks for the help
almost impossible to find a burl steering wheel for my 1994 XJS. i made this one and it turned out pretty good. real wood with a painted burl pattern using gel stain.
wheel3

2 Likes

wheel12

John H. - sure looks like you were able to get a very good match to the rest of your interior - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/30/2020 2149hrs. EDT USA.

a lot of trial and error to get the right base color. now that ugly air bag really stands out. i might think of recoloring it to match the interior

If I am remembering correctly, there is a “paint” used to renew, or change, the color of the seats installed in “open” boats - this was used on leather and/or vinyl materials - supposedly held up to the weather conditions and wear conditions well - this may work for the center pad of your steering wheel - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 7/30/2020 2338hrs. EDT USA.

Sem makes a leather paint and its available in rattle cans. Sem was just bought by PPG so paint store selling PPG probably carries it.
Its an excellent product.
You could also get it in quart cans for spraying throu paint gun, painted many a vinyl top in the 80-90s it could also be applied with a sponge.

Beautiful job on the steering wheel, nice match the OE wood. When there is a will, there is a way…