Weather stripping install problem

Hello Pat,
The rubber section shown in the right of your first picture is the rubber that many Jag Parts suppliers are supplying as the “B” Pillar seal. It’s not actually correct, but will work if the whole of the rubber section is made from a soft rubber. Unfortunately, either those who commission the manufacture of these seals, or those that manufacture the seals, step outside their usual comfort zone and try an become designers in an attempt to improve on what clearly worked when Jaguar first turned the E Type out.

The following picture is of the section being sold by at least one of the usuals as a “B” Pillar Seal, showing it being made from two densities of rubber.

It also appears that the Seal you have for the “B” is also of two different densities of rubber. On the surface, it seems that having the T Section of the Seal (the part that clips into the Seal Retaining Channel) made from a hard rubber and the remainder of the Seal from a soft rubber is a good idea. However, fitting this rubber will result in a car where you need a run up to slam the door hard enough to close it (I exaggerate, but not by much).

What I have seen done by some is to cut and remove much of the hard section out of the Seal as shown in the following picture. The section between the two Red Lines is removed.

I flat out refuse to buy a dog and then have to bark for it, which is tantamount to what you do when you buy something like a Weather Seal and then have to mutilate it so it fits. I’m sure Jaguar didn’t do that in the day. Accordingly, when I receive rubbish parts that I’ve paid through the nose for (its not like the sellers are giving these rubbers away), I send them back.

I recently had the experience with fitting the Seal shown in the first picture above and it turned the car into a door slammer. I happened to have a Seal from a kit purchased from another supplier, some years before, that was soft rubber throughout and doing nothing other that swap to the soft seal, the doors closed under their own weight from an opening of approximately 20degs and above.

Following is a picture showing the various Seal Profiles for a 2+2. You can Google the part number to get description of where each go.

The section shown for BD20500 is what is being supplied for both the Quarter Glass and the “B” Pillar.

The Seal shown at the Left in your first picture is the section of the Seal for the “A” Pillar. This is another Seal that will make the door hard to close. Many supply a seal that is too Large in section. So much so, that it acts as a fulcrum and you can see the forward section of the door being levered outwards.

It appears from your other pictures, that you’re fitting the Seal shown in the Right of your first picture to the “A” Pillar. The Seal that fits on the “A” Pillar is Seal BD30301 shown in the picture above and appears to be the Seal shown in the Left of your first picture. Your BD20500 Section Seal may work if you install it on the “B” Pillar, as although its made of the two densities of rubber, the hard section is not nearly as large as the section shown in my first picture.

The soft seal that worked in the aforementioned job came from XK Unlimited.

Regards,

Bill