Webers for the e type

Exactly. You need an old school dyno with someone very experienced with setting up Webers and a wide selection of jets ready to go. If you have this then it’s entirely doable.

In my home town we don’t have this. So for me it’s not.

1 Like

After vintage racing an E Type for 15 years, autocrossing other E Types for 30, and running direct comparisons between SU’s and Weber’s both on engine dynos, and on the track, there is no performance difference between the two, no time on the track gained or lost, with one big proviso. You need to compare apples to apples.
The stock SU set up uses a filter/snorkel arrangement that was done for silence and costs power, and the UM needle was used for economy, period. A typical Weber setup has neither encumbrance, will generate more power and a lot more (glorious) noise, but runs richer, and accordingly burns more gas (It takes more gas to generate more power.).
If you want equivalent power from your SU’s use better filtration (will give you the same glorious sound), proper trumpets inside the filters (very important), and UP or equivalent needles.

2 Likes

My car came with Webers two decades ago. Sounded great but seriously sucked gas. Sounded awesome.

I tried to tune them and played with all the jets, air correctors and emulsion tubes times 6 at great expense.

You can’t just read a manual and tune them in a couple of iterations.

In then end, sold them and installed SUs and performance skyrocketed

Unless you have time and serious expertise in how to tune Webers and have tuned Webers in the past, I advise against them.

Dennis
69 OTS with triple SUs

1 Like

Hello Terry, I appreciate your post but why are all the e types using Webers are proven winners and not with SU’s? I’ve seen many e types with both inductions on tracks but the cars with Webers have always had the edge.

I visit Lime Rock Watkins Glen frequently on race days and the same cars are frequent winners with Weber. There are four cars, a coupe and tree roadsters that generally are the winners and the latest car a 1964 a coupe from California sold on BAT also had Weber carbs.

As areas were improved over the years the former owner never changed the induction as an improvement but kept it for it’s reliability that enhances it performance over the years shows reliability…

Hi Garth,
Good point.
Dennis

1 Like

Should not be necessary to say this, but driving on a racetrack is VERY different from driving on the street. What works for one very often does not work at all well for the other. And those track cars very likely had extensive internal engine modifications as well, so apples and oranges…

1 Like

And, what do highly competitive race cars have? Capable tuners with access to lots of equipment, lots of test time, and a engine dyno…

Dave

2 Likes

I’ll agree Ray, but an e-type is a car with duel personality a Gemini or a hammer cloaked with velvet. A true lady that wears a beautiful gown with combat boots instead of stiletto heels, just in case she has to be ready for battle…

Go for it Garth.

I look forward to a thread on your progress.

Cheers!

AB

3 Likes

For those who are switching from a stromberg E type, the Webers are awesome and you will save $£$£$ in lieu of the SU’s everyone keeps raving about. :cat2:

You don’t need a ‘rolling road’ or Dyno to set your Webers so stop being as theatrical as me.:smiley_cat:Do you think they had them machines tuning all the webers back in the 60’s? I think NOT.

1 Like

You are being entirely too modest. I think you can stretch this to at least 75 years! :joy:

1 Like

Money. They have money :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

1 Like

These two articles detail real world experience of setting up Webers on an E-Type:
Weber Set up Guide 1: Weber 45DCOE.pdf
Weber Set up Guide 2: Weber Wisdom.pdf

David

1 Like

Has anyone noticed with vintage race cars over the years, they would improve the engines, suspensions, the aerodynamics fuel delivery but managed to stay with the the induction which happens to be the ubiquitous Weber carburetors that never gets old. Ferrari or Maserati Porsche or other vintage super cars never tossed and settled for other induction during those years and with those carbs as part of the winning package they are revered. Have a great day jag people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, could be they never had any other induction… just sayin.’

You keep taking this the wrong way: I don’t have anything against Webers, other than the myth that their addition automatically makes more horsepower on a stock engine.

But they are old! And you have to consider the psychology of the race car owner. Ive been a keen observer of this since 1969. If one guy has them figured out and wins a race, the next weekend half the field will have the same setup. That happens at every level, from Soap Box Derby to Foumula 1.

Also, digital fuel injection :syringe: is illegal in most vintage classes. Legalize electronic fuel injection and they will run from those Webers enmasse.

I keep these on a high shelf in the garage. They are like the slinky blonde that hangs out dockside at the boat club. A lustful thing that you know will be expensive! :joy:

2 Likes

Wiggles they had SU’s that had been on the market since 1937 while the Webers have been around almost 100 years. They have been tested, proven and is still here and will continue into the future.

I bet if you clean the up they will perform just as good or better than blondie at the dockside. :grin:

The Donkey Dick theory: if you win a race, with a donkey dick strapped to your hood, next weekend, EVERYONE will show up with donkey dicks.

No idea why, but they’ll do it.

:laughing:

2 Likes

You again have missed my point.