Weight of the IRS

I understand the complete weight of the IRS is somewhere around 80kg. If this is correct one would be able to lift it with two people in the back of a pick up without a lift correct. Or is it heavier and will both people have a hernia after… and will the unit still be on the ground :wink:

Very heavy for two…

Wow then it would be twice as heavy… 160 kg. You won’t lift that 50 cm of the ground with two…

So easy with an engine hoist (cherry picker) that I even used it for moving the pumpkin:

There is usually someone (or a couple of someones) among my car friends who has one sitting idle.

Nice lifting strap color…:blush:

Two strong people can lift it. I’ve done it several times…

Regards,
Ray L.

Hello Ray,
Same here. I now have a 4 ton traveling, overhead crane, but two of us used to routinely lift ready to install IRS assemblies to the height of trestles prior to leveling for setting camber.

Regards,

Bill

That would require me to find not one but two strong friends.

Not so easy as I think the average of our Jaguar group (the ‘Monday Morning Car Guys’) must be late 70s.

3 Likes

… which will lead to lumbago. :grimacing:

Use back belts, folks!

I measured that when I was racing - recall it was 330 pounds.

The fully assembled pumpkin itself weighs just at 100 lbs.

I guess two fairly strong men in decent physical shape could lift the assembled unit. On the other hand, some kind of mechanical hoist is much cheaper than back surgery. :grin:

1 Like

Yea: because I could, I’d regularly heft blocks, cranks, IRSs, et al, and by the time I was 22, I had rotten back. It got nothing but worse, until well after I stopped wrenching as a living (early 90s).

Of all the advice I sloughed off, using a back belt was one I really, REALLY wish I had heeded.
The other was ear protection.

Wha’d you say?!? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait…lemme turn up my hearing aids.

WHAAAA???

:wink:

Just weighed one. As fitted in car, it weighs 140Kg. 310 lbs.
I use a motor cycle jack to remove from car and move around shop, makes it a one man job.

Correct Terry, I forgot to add the calipers.

Is that years or age? :joy::joy::joy:

Some days, Larry, some days…;(