Weird throttle stuck

So, I accidentally shorted a positive wire to the throttle cable housing around the back of B bank while engine was running, about 1 second. Now the gas pedal is stuck. Can I simply lube and free the cable? Or do I need a new cable?

I removed cable from throttle pedestal. I tried wd40 and moving the cable back and forth, it moves, but only with a lot of force. I must have fused it. Now I need all new throttle cable I take it. :frowning:

Probably. Things have sure been quiet around here lately…Hey, at least your engine will run.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve disconnected a metal rod held in with cotter pin to gas pedal, and I’ve disconnected cable from throttle pedestal.
I see a plate in engine compartment behind brake fluid reservoir where cables go into, held in with four bolts. I’ve removed three, the fourth one is spinning. Read archive, someone had similar problem, had to drill it out.

I drilled out bolt, disconnected brake fluid reservoir bolt for cruise control, popped right out. Looks like I’ll need the whole cable assembly. Doh!

Looks like my arc welding experiment cost me.

Before I shell out $140 for a new one, part cbc19101, does anybody have a good used one to sell? Or is there a way to rebuild it?
Thanks

People have this problem without welding. Just forgetting to reconnect the ground strap between engine and chassis and then hitting the starter will sometimes do it. It can also mess up the shifter cable.

Note that the reason for these issues is that the casing for these cables has a nylon liner. Too much heat and the nylon melts and binds up the core.

I made one out of a bicycle brake cable. I have bicycle brake cables on hand, but if not I think you can buy one at Walmart for a couple bucks.

Motorbike clutch cables would be even better, they are also lined.
They exist in various grades.

Aristides

Thanks, but after inspecting the cable, I do not have the know-how to remove the sleeve from both ends where it seems to be permanently clamped, as well as re-clamping, and attaching secure ends to the cable where it fits the throttle pedestal and pedal link.

Dealing with the cable housing is easy. The tips on the cable itself are more of a challenge, to be sure. The end that comes on the bicycle brake cable can be used for one end, possibly by cutting it down to size to fit. For the other end, though, you’d need something to attach to that cable. Something cylindrical with internal threads works well, just drill a tiny hole through it. Stick the cable through the tiny hole, then tighten a screw in from the end until it jams the cable and holds it in place.

Another idea is a small bolt with a hole through it that has been lengthened a bit. Flat washers under the head up to the level of the hole. Insert cable through hole, then another flat washer followed by a nut. Tighten the nut, compressing the cable between the flat washers.

Greg,
I think you should get a known good used or new throttle cable instead of trying to reverse engineer or “MacGyver” something out of various bits you find in a hardware store and your kitchen junk drawer. :slight_smile:

When I am being creative in my automotive hobby I ask myself “Well, what is the worst that could happen if this fails?”.

The worst that could happen if a jury rigged throttle cable were to fail at the worst time is pretty bad. Like when pulling out into high speed traffic, for instance.

Sorry, but I don’t have one to sell to you. If you don’t find one right away try searching eBay for sellers obviously parting out an XJ-S and send them a message to see if they have one. I have sold hundreds of good used Jaguar parts on eBay over the past 10 years or so and I occassionally get requests like that. When I do and I have the part, I open up a new auction right away and sell that part. Just a thought.

Paul

I agree Paul. Mainly because I wouldn’t trust my work! I can do a lot of things, but fiddly work with a throttle cable, I’m sure it would eventually fail. Bolting up brakes, alhough more dangerous, pretty easy for me.
Thanks, i’ll get one soon, either used or new.

Motorcycle cable parts…there is. A brass end fitting made to clamp on a cable when it breaks available thru J&P cycle supply…maybe!!!..I’ve never seen so many problems with one car…HAPPY EASTER

C’mon Greg, after all the things you’ve done that’s dead easy…
You can find brass end fittings in any bike shop, and in various forms and sizes, even in our local Super Market !

Maybe I’ll bring it to a motorcycle shop and pay them to do it?

I can do big knuckle jobs, that involve bolts, etc. Little fine detail jobs I’m not good at.

It’s only about 30 mins with no traffic. I will call them Monday and see what they can do. Do they only sell parts? Or fix them too? Maybe I’m overthinking. I’m assuming I must remove sleeve. Or do I just have to replace cable and nylon sheath inside? Nothing to lose, I guess, in trying.

I called ISS. They do their rebuilding in Portland, so I’ll send it down to see if they can rebuild it, and how much. I’ve got nothing to lose except postage. Thanks for the tip!

Kirbert:

The ones you describe in your first paragraph exist. I found them in a hardware store. I used one and a bolt at the capstan of my lump. The jaguar cable was too long. I cut it to size. That left me with a bare end.

Here, I would go for Paul’s plan. Replace!!
Stuck throttle is almost as bad a s no brakes!!!

Carl

I can’t find a new one, everybody says discontinued.
ISSPRO took a look at it, they cannot rebuild.
So I’m trying to find a used one right now.

I searched for one a few days ago. Try Jagbits- CBC 19101.
Then get your wallet out.

Terry’s had one on their website for $135. But when I ordered I got a refund. NLA.
Jagbits is way way way overpriced !
I’ll wait until I find a used one from a parts car. An odd part, but I know plenty are out there. Until then, I can still work on her, and move her back and forth with idle rpm.

But driving this car at 0.5 mph is NOT fun.