Welcome to hell(long w/ photos) Series 1 xj6 core plugs corrosion head studs

Well as I had a related question, I thought I’d update this for posterity.
It’s been a while since I’ve worked on it.

I DID remove all studs…but one, damnit.

My fault really. I could have gotten it, I’m sure, but i became impatient and actually had forgotten it was the most corroded one instead of another. Sigh. Pencil diameter.

They came out using a butane torch from walmart, one of those cam lobe stud removers from amazon, pb blaster and also candle wax.

As per above of cpurse, after removing rust, it had been soaking in marvel mystery oil and penetrants for a while.

Which was most helpful who’s to know.

Should you review earlier images you’d note my apprehension that some of them would be fused. Especially exhaust side.

A couple came out easily, most required perseverance and patience reheating, torquing with stud puller, melting wax, penetrant, reheating and maintaining torque on the stud while cooling with penetrant etc.

One became so warm and was torqued to such extent it began to bend and i began to becone concerned.

A note, while doing this, alter from pulling force to spinning ratchet around to push, 180degrees oposite side…suddenly that one broke free.

All the threads are perfect miraculously.

I’m confident i can get that broken one out.
I hope welding a nut to it is doable.
Intake side at rear easiest. One came out by hand.

Much cleanup of goop and wax to do, but that’s ok by me…they’re out! whew.

To my question, that block heater plug.
Perused archives, seems best to leave it alone.

Miraculously i was able to remove that stud being unable to access its base. I heated at the top near block and tapped with bfh(hammer) and it broke free thankfully.

However i do hate being unable to clean out behind it now upon doing all of this.

Sure I’ll suck out and blow out all i can, especially the thread hole, but i can’t seem to budge it. It just seems too much…not doable my gut tells me.

Perhaps I’ll try using wire and flush ad nauseum again to clean best i can.

Thoughts?

I’ve read of ppl needing to drill and cut it out. That does not appeal to me at all.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Perhaps I’ll do one final update with final photos putting it together.
Now time to rebuild head…
I’m placing sheets of plywood on kitchen counter and doing it inside. :wink: why not!

And I trust you have all new studs ready, Demian - most of the ones pictured are scrap metal…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like