What are the correct springs for a TWR XJ-S (pre-Jaguarsport)?

I’ve tried to find the answer on my own but cannot.

Since I bought my car a year ago, it has always sat too high at the rear. I think it has incorrect springs. There aren’t enough spring spacers to get the stance I want just by removing them.

The black car is mine. The white car is what I think it should look like.

My dampers are not worn out, so I’d rather not replace them with the adjustable Gaz ones. I just want the correct springs. Any advice?

Your rear springs have spacers that raise the ride height?

There are small spacers, one at the top and one at the bottom of each rear spring on my car, maybe 1/8” thick each.

I suspect all you would ever get would be a part number.

There is no way to give you any other kind of answer. The number of coils, height, and width of the spring could all be the same, but a different metal composition used would make it stiffer or softer than the original design.

Your part number is CBC2793…but… it matches the same part number used for the Sportspack versions of both 5.3 v12 AND 3.6 and 4.0 six cylinder models! (The non-sportspack 5.2 v12 has a different part number, C39692, not sure about a non-sportspack six cylinder)

To me, you find springs for any sportspack XJS and you have yourself the OEM ride height…now where you find that, I don’t know. They do sell springs still, I just have no idea if they are accurate aftermarket builds.

Thanks very much for that. Seems consistent with the rest of my Jaguar experience :wink:

Any slightly-sportier-than-stock springs will do. Any recommendations? I’m also tired of inaccurate aftermarket parts.

I used these spacers to even-out a left/right tilt on my car. The spacers yield a difference greater than their own thickness. I recall each .125" spacer yields about .375" differemce…so removing two would/should/might make a .750" change.

But something tells me that wouldn’t be enough in your case

Item 15 in this illustration:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C03.910.91057.91057465.910574656334/brand/jaguar/

The archives are full of unhappy stories regarding aftermarket replacement springs. The odds of ending up with the correct ride height seem to be 50-50 at best.

I’d try some used originals before buying new, personally

Cheers

I went through this exercise not all that long ago and will look for the part number , ( I ordered through my guru Jaguar mechanic), but at the end of the day they worked out fine. I was looking for a good before and after picture.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can find a part number for these particular ones

So at the end of the day , I replaced mine with these and installed a set of KYB dampers. I thought at first they may have looked higher than the originals but they settled right in. I might have been over thinking it No issues at all.

1 Like

When I replaced my springs, they were uneven for a few weeks, but they eventually evened out.

Looking at your two photos best I can, I think that it’s your front end that is sagging a bit, not that the rear is too high. You have lower profile tires, so they don’t fill the rear fenders as well, but seem to in the front.

But without looking in person, I of course could be way off.

Actually I thought my front could also do with a little lowering, but I was gonna wait to see what it looked like after lowering the rear.