What Bell housing for 3.4

Hi All…thinking of building a Realm C type replica…have the option of a good working low milage engine from an XJ S2 3.4 auto…will need a 4syncro box but need help with what bell housing and flywheel/ starter will be needed…does it have to be a housing from a 3.4 or will any one fit(4.2)…any thoughts…thanks…Steve

So long as flywheel starter and bell are from same car you’ll be OK with any version, almost. A 3.8 might need the recess machining to fit the bigger 4.2 box front bearing.

HOWEVER… Adrian Cocking was being forced to abandon replica supply (I heard yesterday at Goodwood) because of DVLA clampdown on car VINs / ID with re-shells and replicas. You might want to call him at Realm and see if he can still sell them…

Hi Peter…thanks for the help…I visited Adrian at his workshop 2 days ago…we did talk about registration as i was quite confused with C replicas that are for sale…some being registered as Historic with a date and registration of the donor vehicle…and some ive seen built recently with a registration date of 2016/2017…need to get clarity befor i proceed but Adrian was advising that it has to be registered as a new vehicle as the dvla are tightening up… it should then get an age related plate of the doner car year…looking at the dvla site there are quite a few options of registering but the option of a “kit converted vehicle”(new vehicle, old parts added to a new kit)… looks like the only way forward…dvla opition here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitconverted-vehicles …Steve
Ps…please let me know if you hear of registration problems…will keep digging…dont want to buy and not get registered

Right about the machining to fit the 42 gearbox to the 3.8 bell housing. When I did mine 20-25 years ago I took both bell housings to the machine shop and had him duplicate the bearing openings.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Pat O’Brien’s your guy - I spoke to him at Goodwood. I live in the US now