What Book Do I need

I purchased a S1 E Type that was disassembled by the previous owner. Everything is meticulously bagged and documented with pictures. I feel a book that would show some assembly or lessons learned on previous restorations would be beneficial. My experience level with British cars is very high, but this is my first Jaguar.

Is there a book for the E type that is still available and is similar to the XK120 140 150 series explored?

I should note I did a search that showed a few books but they seem to be unavailable.

Thanks

Welcome Dan,
One of the most helpful books is the

Spare Parts Catalogue, it is available from SNG Barrett. It list every part including nuts, bolts, washers and other fittings with drawings. It is invaluable when reassembling a E type.

Best wishes, Jim

1 Like

Have a read of GTJoey building an E type

1 Like

I found Chris Vines website very helpful. He’s restoring a series 2, but lots of thing in common with a series 1

Cheers Phil.

1 Like

Hi Chris,
I too am restoring a Etype in boxes. Build thread is at newhillgarage.com

As mentioned above, the Spare Parts Catalogue is number 1 on my list. Others that are useful are:
Bentley Publishers Shop Manual http://www.bentleypublishers.com/jaguar/repair-information/comp-off-jag-e-series-1-2-work.html
Jaguar Etype Six-Cylinder Orginality Guide by Haddock/Mueller- Expensive but worth it Published by Dalton Watson
Etype Jaguar Restoration Manual by David Barzilay- This one probably comes closest to giving you a step by step guide

The big catalogs by SNG Barratt or XKs Unlimited are useful, although they tend to be the figures in the Spare Parts catalog just organized differently. I use my SNG Barratt catalog a lot.

Here is an article I wrote years ago:

Feel free to contact me. harvey.ferris@gmail.com

I might add that when restoring an Etype in boxes you probably need that book “The Power of Positive Thinking” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would add that if you’ve never done an Etype, you need to identify someone in your area with a similar car and go photograph the heck out of it.

The Haynes purple manual is useful also. You don’t have to get it from SNG:

1 Like

If you’re looking for out-of-print books, here’s a great resource:

It’s a network of thousands of book dealers throughout the world, and it’s pretty rare to not find whatever you’re looking for through that site.

1 Like

Doubled!
I have a new parts book that I never touched, let me know
if your interested.
Walter
e mail me

The books by Haddock and Clausager are excellent.

This blog is very useful: http://www.relicrecyclery.com/Jaguar/63EType.htm

Dan , There are so many people on this forum that will chip in.
Using common sense, are we starting with a stripped shell? , Rolling chasis?
You can pm me and many others anytime!
Follow our threads or call.
That car was hand made, is it a 3.8 or 4.2?
Phillip Porters guide books along with others are good because of pictures.
Good luck
gtjoey1314

Hi and thanks. The responses by all are more than I expected.

It is a 66 production titled as a 67. A roadster. It is currently on a rotisserie and ready to be cleaned of its paint. Very very little rust and maybe 3 small areas of body filler so very straight also. 4.2 engine and the 4 speed gear box. Original minus the headers and steering wheel along with a few upgrades to suspension and brakes.