What clips in here?

I’m reinstalling the fuel injectors after getting them back from being serviced by SD. I noticed this clip, and I can’t seem to figure out what’s supposed to clip into it.

Do you have the early style looped fuel rail? If so, I think that clip helps hold the rail secure

Cheers
DD

I don’t believe so.

This is mine:

I’m guess this is a loop style? I’m not familiar at all with changes throughout the years. (From eBay)

The clip looks just like clips for the fuel return line running across the front of the engine, so that was my thought.

I don’t see any extra parts that I forgot to put back on and there’s no vacuum, coolant, air lines running nearby, unless I routed one entirely the wrong way

I guess my next question would be, would it be normal to change the fuel rails when installing a reconditioned engine at the dealer? I’ve got some more reading to do to figure out how old this particular engine is. From quickly looking through a couple of threads I haven’t found any hard and fast rules for dating an engine. My engine is stamped 8L219773, which appears to be a fairly late engine.

Edit: original engine number was 220342, so I don’t think that they used an older enough engine to explain an extra clip from an older style fuel rail.

I stumped. Someone here will come along and bail us out. I haven’t been deep into a Series III XJ6 engine for many years.

Typically a rebuilt engine comes bare. All existing external bolt-on pieces are transferred from the old engine to the rebuilt engine

Cheers
DD

That clip (C43080) supports the vacuum hose going to the Vacuum Regulator (EAC4399) located beneath the intake manifold. Attached is a picture showing the Vacuum Regulator, circled in red, suspended from that clip in my former 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks again, Paul. The regulator’s there. The vacuum line is routed around the #3 runner. Done by the car’s former mechanic, I hadn’t touched that line. So that’s a relief, I thought I was completely missing something.

Jay,
I am glad that I was able to help you sort this one out.
Prior owners and their shops can be ingenious. Why route the vacuum line through the correct mounting clip when you can route it incorrectly instead? :grin:

Paul