What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

they are $2 each… why wouldnt you replace them? they are designed to crush when the pipes are mated. old ones might seal up, or might start making noise in a month. I replace them any time I separate the pipes. buy a few extras to keep around for that reason.
Same for those cruddy looking nuts. Go buy some shinny new brass ones and new lock washers.
You will be glad you did when you bolt on nicely finished manifolds.

Studs too, it’s a pain dealing with old rusty ones. Just did mine.

I’ve personally had a big hassle getting the donuts on that aren’t fully metal clad. Those ones slip right on. The ones that are bare on the inside, not so much. I think the full metal clad ones cost a bit more but not much.

1 Like

I did buy them. Just wanted an opinion on replacement.

Lock washers? There were no lock washers with my manifold nuts. Only the eight at the exhaust connections. I was seeing if my nuts will clean up :wink:: If not, I’ll get new.

I did chase the studs and the nuts screw on effortlessly.

I hope you have at least the SNG catalog. there should be lock washers used under the nuts as shown in all the parts catalogs, p/n FG105X.

since you are ordering now anyway, replace those manifold to block gaskets :slight_smile:

NordLocks work better than split lock washers.

Much better. I started with split washers when mine was first restored. I lost several nuts along the roadway. Haven’t lost a single one after installing the two piece Nords. They don’t even come loose really although they do occassionally need to be cinched to get more crush.

oooh, you can’t enter the car in the “original” category at your local festival anymore!!! tsk, tsk, tsk.

Sounds like my younger days. I wonder whatever happened to a few of those guys.

but seriously, I cant say for the Nordlocks, but under the manifold to head nuts it seems to me the split washer does fine for a fraction of the cost. I just havent got around to trying Nord’s on the manifold to pipe connections

My wheels pretty much knocked me out of that category already. I’m a pragmatist.

Well, you may notice in my pile of nuts above, I have 32 of them, that’s because the PO had two nuts on each stud and no lock washer. I will admit, none were loose, but explains why I was having a harder time removing the nuts I described above. I see the SNG diagram shows a lock washer and one nut. Is that correct? Any 5/16 lock washer will do or something special.

The manifold gaskets are on order and being replaced. What you see in the pic is the head, not the gasket.

Yes I still have the original thin splits on the manifolds. They hold up fine once fully tight. The downpipes are a whole different challenge because there are half as many per pipe and the whole pipe vibrates and can in the worst case take a bump or two, plus gravity is working against you on the studs.

Will any 5/16" split lock washer do?

Not just any no, they have to fit comfortably inside the countersunk recesses drilled into the manifold. XKs has the original profile washers cheap. They are zinc though, not black oxide.

1 Like

thanks. SNG shows them and I have an order going there, so I’ll get them there.

Another issue is spacers for the heat shield(s). SNG shows one, but surely there are at least two. My car has none, but it was mentioned to me. I don’t really understand how it all fits together.

Mike, I’ve had a similar setup on my E for 20 or so years, K&N filters for a tri carb GTO, can’t recall where the sub stacks came from and, being cheap, the aluminum parts were home made cut from 1/8th aluminum.

1 Like

Good stuff

And while your there checkout the E type hardware section. I had no idea the had that section until I got this project and needed bolts and nuts. Turns out they are aircraft parts as far as I can tell.

edit: I don’t know how this got here. I was replying to a Erica Moss post on ACF50

Like, honest-to-gawd. Murkin-made hardware?

Is that like merkin?

I’m confused. Aircraft Spuce sells e-type hardware?

1 Like

No: same as Murrican!

:wink: