What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

So I picked up a used engine to rebuild and found out on delivery the oil pan and block were cracked. I was able to locate a 67 4.2 short stud block and a good friend of mine is a welder(for the pan), he added a little bling!

Going to get it powder coat it then paint in the flag.

Hoping the road kill will enjoy their last image :grinning:

6 Likes

1325 posts were merged into an existing topic: Vlad’s rebuild topic

So I picked up a used engine to rebuild and found out on delivery the oil pan and block were cracked. I was able to locate a 67 4.2 short stud block and a good friend of mine is a welder(for the pan), he added a little bling!

Going to get it powder coat it then paint in the flag.

Hoping the road kill will enjoy their last image :grinning:

3 Likes

Nice… but an artist should always sign his work.

4 Likes

Oh - I should add: Are you sure that oil pan will work on an E-Type? It is the later type with the wide rear on the sump (and possibly a different location for the oil pick-up).

OH SNAP!

So the short stud 4.2 block and a long stud 4.2 block don’t have interchangeable oil pans? Is it a bolt up to the block issue or oil pump issue?

I plan on using the uprated oil pump form CJ.

I’m not an expert here - but I think the issue is not short stud v long stud - but rather that the 4.2 with the cracked block came from a later Jaguar, not an E-Type. Perhaps an XJ6, but again this is an unfamiliar area for me.

That pan will probably bolt to the block you have (though the oil pick-up may be off) – but as I recall that wide section at the rear will foul on the torsion bars.

You are right!

What a waist on time and money! The oil pan is an XJS oil pan!

When it’s all painted and looking pretty, it’ll serve as a great reminder of buyer beware.
It’ll be ab expensive piece of garage art that will hopefully save me thousands as I take on this journey.

Hopping someone has a extra pan out there!!!

The block is a E type 7R39420-9…

Indeed the same as the sump on our XJ6. Like the flag! Unfortunately the big subframe under an XJ6 or similar will cover it. :confused:

OHHH the pain :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Fill it with ice. Use it as a beer cooler.

1 Like

Mmmmmmm beer.

Working on uprating my alternator today losing the 55 amp lucas. Need around 120 amp to run my radio.

That must be studio sound - like the Sydney Opera House. The system in my daily driver might make 120 Watts - about 10 amps. Paul

What did I do today?

I put the front of the car on ramps and the rear on platforms so I could easily lay on a creeper and slide under the car to remove the rear brake pads, spray the backsides with anti-squeal stuff and reinstall them.

8 Likes

Opened the box from Alberta Plate Chroming who re-chromed the rear bumpers on my S2. 3 week turn around time and as they stated they came out show chrome quality. This will be a xmas present to myself!

3 Likes

I walked on mine: every day, I am reminded of Tweety whilst walking on the beautiful new laminate flooring he made possible!

Dog legs for scale…:laughing:

2 Likes

changed oil and filter, took Lily for a shakedown drive …no new leaks, tucked her away for the winter.

They look great! If you give the car a name (hence an identity) you can rightly claim something else in you’re own right. My E is Eliza. We also have Jeremy and Wilson - they’re definitely blokes. They get gifts and so do I. Paul