What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

I assume it was for originality’s sake, you used the stock cast iron AC compressor?

Several reasons…the esthetics, practicality ( from a maintenance standpoint), adequate function, and dollar value (original ac adds 10% I think per Hagerty). I could bolt on a Sanden, or I could learn how to test the clutch and replace the seals and clutch bearing of a period Tecumseh. Even adding the rubber tubing bits in the clutch face to reduce clatter. I find it all fascinating.

2 Likes

Wheels down on the '63 coupe for the first time in almost a year…new engine, gearbox, front/rear suspension, brakes, clutch, all drivetrain…almost ready for bonnet off first drive!

2 Likes

Having some fun prior to paint

5 Likes

Good for the quads and lats…:smiling_imp:

1 Like

The bonnet plug and wiring harness are located in an area that may get wet when driving in the rain. I don’t think woven would look too good after a few years use.

Dino, you are almost as ripped as your car.
Alan

1 Like

Dino, what’s the update on the engine rebuild?

2 Likes

It’s finally rolling

1 Like

Exciting Jeff ! Continue to share , I’d like to see it with the bonnet !

Marco

Picked up the coupe almost a year ago…had not been on the road since '82, but it was stored out of the elements. The reason it was put away was a bad first gear (imagine that)… I ended up rebuilding the complete drivetrain (motor, gearbox, diff, brakes, suspension, etc…). The body was in too nice a shape to mess with. I hope to finish the brakes next weekend and then hit the road.

I drove mine for the 1st time today…

8 Likes

Built a wheeled cart for my bonnet…

More importantly, WHO MOVED NEAR ME AND DIDNT SAY HELLO?!?!?

1 Like

Looks great, Erica! I just picked up a hardtop earlier this week. It’s in nice shape and complete. It will need new seals, paint to match body color, chrome plating for a few bits and a polish job on the Perspex window. A couple of questions: I’m looking at the top/body seal and trying to determine how to fit. Looks like it can go either way. Also, any tips for polishing the rear window? It’s has the usual rash, but nothing severe.

… under its own power, or just downhill?

:grimacing:

Did YOU go say herro?

:wink:

Novus Plastic Polish: you use #2 first, then #1.

I think if it’s the proper seal it should be pretty evident. The one I bought, probably SNG, had a thin tang and a thicker one. The thicker fits inside the channel on the top. The thinner side is the body seal. It also has a hollow u shape channel that interlocks with the outer face of the channel as you press it in.

I used a random DA polisher with the softest hex logic pad and Meguiare’s 105/205. If it has deeper scratches though, you have to start with super fine emery wet paper.

Just downhill right now, get the brake masters back next week

1 Like