What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Managed to loosen all 4 knockoffs on a series 2. Used the brass tool and hammered the hell out of them with a 5# hammer. They were very tight and had probably been untouched for 20+ years. There was evidence of pipe wrenches having been used in the past…They will all be replaced.

today?
I failed to reinstall the fuel line.

1 Like

Tuned the carbs

3 Likes

Installed the bonnet this weekend. It was painted on that red primer dolly about six years ago and waited for the rest of the car to be ready. Lifted the front portion with that motorcycle jack (pillows stacked under the chin). Pulled the forward pivot pins, propped up the rear edges and rolled the dolly out the back side. Then a friend and I dragged the bonnet/jack back toward the waiting car. Spouse lowered the jack as we slid it into position over the pivot hinges. Took three geezers about 15 minutes…no paint dings. Ultimately decided to shim the bonnet forward very slightly as the paint buildup on the cowl and the bonnet had narrowed the shut gap too close for comfort. But the multiple removals/adjust/refit/ activity prior to final paint generally paid off. First time the bonnet has been permanently united with the chassis since about 1982.

3 Likes

Always s joyful moment!

In all the years we had Tweety, his snoot had never been removed. I did everything in my power to NEVER have to remove it!!

MDF= master distribution frame?

Medium Density Fiberboard!

Those look pretty nice. Are they snug in the stock retaining ring? Did it connect easily to the stock molex connector? How’s the heat? Some of those things apparently get really hot.

Looking good Eric! Keep the pictures coming.

Some Ive seen actually have a large heat sink, in the form of a heavy, flat braided tail, hanging out the back.

Yup, and this one doesn’t which makes me wonder where the heat is going since those buckets have no vents.

https://tinyurl.com/y7n7l454

Maybe they’ve figured out how to dissipate heat, w/o the big heat sinks?

My LED headlamps (in a TR) actually have a small fan in them to help them keep their cool.

It’s a strange sensation to be able to hear your headlamps running.

1 Like

Very easily installed, uses existing wires and require no ballast/relay. Used stock rings and fits perfectly. There are some LED headlights out there with a flat lens and they will stick out about 1/2 inch giving it that bulging eye appearance looks awful, probably meant for a Harley.

These are good quality sealed lights that are not as hot as halogen bulbs so I have no concern.

Nice! I was looking at the Sylvania Zevo lamps and they have that bulging look, like a 3/4’ protrusion. If you get a chance could you make a photo of them on? I’m curious what they look like.

For heat management a combination natural convection and the use of heat fins.

I retuned them, they didn’t look good at all, like something was wrong. They were GE NIGHTHAWK LED

They looked something like this

10 PM

1 Like

I unloaded my newly aquired 3.07 differential. It will replace they original 3.54 to finally sync to the installed kmh speedo.

2 Likes

Well that is disappointing to hear. You mean when turned on they looked goofy?

The actual lens stuck out of the original trim ring by 1/2 and inch so it look like the headlight(eyes) were popping out. Not a look I was looking for. The new LED(GROTE headlamp) sit perfectly in the trim rim and look great.

2 Likes