What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Is it wrong to be excited when original parts polish up well?!
Really pleased with the nickel plating and worth the extra time on the polishing wheel

6 Likes

Hi,

Yes, I know. I would be happy with 20W-50 but the “classic” oils that I had been using until I changed to Penrite were ok until I had a chance to push her hard.

Above 180km/h (112mph) on the Autobahn the oil pressure started to drop (in 2017) below the reccommended 40lbs. If I slowed down a bit it would recover. With the oil I’m currently using I did not experience the same oil pressure drop when running 200+km/h (124mph) for longer periods, we hit 229km/h (142mph) and that was still below 6.000rpm, oil pressure stayed around 50-60lbs.

I don’t think the cheaper 20W-50 oil was able to take the heat generated at those speeds despite the fact that all V12’s have an oil cooler in the sump. YMMV.

Cheers!

Ps. And sorry, it’s actually 20W-60, Not 10W-60, I remembered wrong. Should be perfect for the V12 specs. No affiliations, just a happy customer. FWIW I have never had this problem with the XK engine, despite pushing them hard and long above 4.000rpm, but NOT 6.000rpm.

1 Like

Congrats! That’s the way I like it too!

I didn’t even have a polishing wheel, just used my hands :laughing: back in 1996-1998 when I put #1E76372BW back together. (ODG/SuedeGreen)

Cheers!

1 Like

Can you just stop!!!
We are suffocated with 100klm ph limit on most roads with just a few short stretches where we are allowed to (gasp horror) 110Klmph!

Sure! Over here also the max allowed is 120km/h on our highways. But that is for being able to drive in Germany. :wink:

We now have our XJ6C MOD stationed in Germany, planning on driving her soon, but not that fast, only ca 180km/h. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hay Pekka, yes I renewed that piece on my Peugeot and new brushes, forgetting the bearings, pity.
Your engine has a very high oil pressure with 2000 Rpm, must have bin “Cold”.
Nice pictures,
Frank.

Hi Frank,

Yes, thanks, right after start-up, had been sitting in the garage for over a week. I remember the needle would sometimes “peak” and get stuck up there on my ex Ser 1 4.2 2+2 if started cold after a cold night in the countryside. I had to tap the gauge glass to get the needle moving again. :slight_smile:

That has never (knock on wood) happened to me on the V12. YMMV.

Cheers!

Pekka, that’s a good tip PENRITE CLASSIC OIL 20W-60 for high oil pressure.
It was always a problem with my XJ6 when the oil was hot in traffic. Drove Taxi in Amsterdam with it on LPG.
C heers,
Frank.

Not at all Phil I doit all the time :grinning:

1 Like

Wow Frank, when was this?

I would have liked to have taken an XJ6 Taxi in Amsterdam. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I wasn’t that clever, I used the Rover V8 Saloon in Birmingham in the very early 1970’s the brother used his Daimler V8

1 Like

A man of discerning tastes.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Sorry to be a kill joy, but one has to be very discerning over Rover V8s. The SD1 version (the British Leyland years) was horrible in every respect.

The steering wheel wasn’t a wheel, but some odd shape that thwacked your knees in sharp turns, the trim was flimsy, the windows leaked water, the fuel tank leaked, the body rusted at a mere hint of mist, and the auto box was a nightmare - if you could get the bloody thing into drive. Dad had two - he loved them despite all their shortcomings and insists that he got over 30mpg from the manual one (no he didn’t), they were favourites as company cars at work, until they broke, and then the directors insisted on anything but BL cars.

The engine was OK, but 130bhp from 3.5litres is hardly stressing an engine. My own car at the time was a Ford Capri, it was a better car all round, including the V6 growl replacing the V8 rumble. And then some lowlife waste of oxygen stole it.

1 Like

Yes, it was: in fact, it was a kinda horrible car.

I was never a big fan of the P6 3500s, either, due yo their complexity, inaccessibility to work on, plus few ever came to these shores w/o the awful autobox.

Hi,

FWIW we have plenty here with manual 5-speeds, both V8 3500’s and 2000TC’s. :slight_smile:

I never heard of TCs with 5-speeds: god knows it could use one (if 5th was an OD)!

The Rover 5-speed was what Triumph used in the post-strike TR7/8s.

Hi,

Now I’m not so sure anymore the TC’s are 5-speed, but manual anyways. I saw the V8 5-speed this summer, so that one I am quite sure. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I’ve only ever seen a 4 speed Rover2000 TC

2 Likes

Mine acted up sometime ago and it was a bad relay. I sanded the contacts and they mostly worked, but in the end I replaced the relay.