What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 2)

I marked the hubs with a big Letter. See the R? The right side not only has the marked hub, but the spline has the right-side spinner on it just so I don’t make that mistake. The Spinner is visible on the right side in the below pic (no spinner on the left).

Left Side below:

Nonetheless, I shall go and check once again…can’t hurt to be sure! :slight_smile:

I have thought about that handbrake linkage mod and maybe I should do it. It’s just that I am at a point where I’m not looking for additional things to do! It seems simple enough.

2 Likes

What is the advantage of this modification ?
Asking….

Hi Mark…have a look here…Steve Handbrake not strong enough! Any tips? - The 'E' Type Forum

1 Like

My handbrake did not work when I first purchased the car but I completely rebuilt the IRS shortly after purchasing it so I went thru each individual component of it, including the handbrake components. So everything is freed up, lubricated and operating as intended.
However it makes sense , I get it and would consider it in the future.

Thanks Steve

1 Like

One of the few things that worked on my car when I bought it, oddly enough, was the handbrake. That car had been sitting in a heated garage for over 30 years. When I rebuilt the IRS, I cleaned and lubed all the hand brake parts and replaced the pads.

I can’t imagine it would provide much stopping power with those tiny pads. Works fine for holding the car still but I always leave it in gear too.

I agree. I think its more of a parking brake (on a level surface) than an emergency brake. IIRC someone here mentioned that pulling the hand brake while the car is moving could actually cause the pads to shear off

1 Like

Agreed: the only true emergency brakes were those that activated the front brakes, as on early Subarus, and SAABs.

(DKW 750 Juniors, up to the Audi 100LS, too)

2 Likes

I wonder if after dual circuit brakes, the concept of an emergency brake changed to parling only. Our 2028 Subaru has an electrically applied parking brake. I have wondered what would happen if i applied it at speed. Would it lock the brakes almost instantly locking the wheels? Would it know to apply more slowly? Would it not actvate until under a certain speed?
Tom

1 Like

I wonder the same, too, about my Maverick: it’s still a hydraulic set up, that’s electrically activated. I have not even tried it, for fear of breaking it!

2 Likes

Are the 2028’s out already? I’ll have to go have a look.

The Subaru e-brake system is designed to release automatically when the car is in motion. You would have to hold the button down continuously as if it was a brake pedal to get a some very inefficient braking. The button is in an awkward location for that, and it’s tough to modulate. A poorly thought through design. You will be needing it as an emergency brake if you keep the car long enough. There’s a brake junction above the right rear wheel that’s EXTREMELY rust prone. Since your car is fairly new, I would suggest inspecting this area and regularly spraying it with something like Wurth cavity wax.

You should also spray the front and rear subframe components, being sure to get inside the cavities. These are made with ultra high strength steel to save weight. Unfortunately, saving weight means lighter gauge, and so a little rust will go a long way to destroying your car.

I don’t know if I have enough Subaru stuff for 10,000 posts. But I can give it a try.

2 Likes

Tm asked, “I wonder if after dual circuit brakes, the concept of an emergency brake changed to parling only.”
Check the owners’ manual. Is it called a parking brake or emergency brake?
LLoyd

I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs.
But I trust dogs who don’t like people.

I accidentally pressed the electric parking brake on my Audi while in motion. The rear wheels locked and the car’s nanny brain had a massive hissy fit, screaming at me with all kinds of flashes and warnings. It did everything short of shutting down and refusing to play again until I said sorry.

I wouldn’t recommend it.

3 Likes

Here in Blighty it has never been an emergency brake, only ever a parking brake. Of course, until quite recently only the more expensive cars had auto gearboxes with a park option. The rest of us poor people had to change our own gears. And learn to put the parking brake on when we stopped.

2 Likes

If, when you get in the car you suddenly have about as much room inside as your living room, I know exactly which model you have. No parking brake required.

Well of course they are are out, isn’t this 2033?

When we first got it i read in the manual that the park brake should release automatically. I never saw it happen, i just do it manually.
Tom

Tom

That was probably me. I had that happen and I tried it because the UK MOT (annual inspection) used to require the handbrake to stop the car with a certain amount of G force.

Having to replace the handbrake pads in situ is something to be avoided at all costs.

2 Likes

True: I just pulled the IRS.

You should try it, if only o know what to expect. Stop somewhere along a straight road. Set the brake. Then ease onto the gas. The brake will automatically release, no drama. You get the same effect with the hill holder feature: engage it, stop on a steep hill and let your foot off the brake. The e-brake will engage automatically, and disengage when you hit the gas.

As does my Ford.

I think the original design was German, and copied widely.