What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Marek kindly produced a set of rear lenses over the weekend and the car passed its first mot today.
Just started the registration forms for good old DVLA so I hope to be driving it in the next couple of weeks.
I replaced the front sealed beam units with halogen and sidelights. I also rewired the front amber side lights to be indicator repeaters.
Can’t wait to get the registration number …

I can’t recommend Marek enough…what a gent!!

4 Likes

During a brief dry spell in this long winter season (more snow is threatened for this weekend,although I have my doubts), I took the E out for a few miles. Came back, re adjusted the carburettors, and went out again to ensure the engine pulled cleanly through the rev range.

I recall a discussion many years ago regarding polishing the brass floats in the float chambers, was Brasso ok to use?.

:roll_eyes:

:grimacing:

Blitz Cloths would probably work best.

1 Like

Finally got a license tag this morning. Texas drops the car title from their computer system after 15 years of no activity (my car was last registered in 1984). Took them a week to dig through their archives and reinstate the title. By the way, the “VIN” begins with J64 plus the serial number. I know California did this (added a little J/64 tag under the data plate). Anyone know if Texas did this?

Immediately slapped the license plate on the car and went for an engine break-in run. Surprised at how hard the engine pulls (first drive ever of an “E”) The 3.07 rear gears are a joy. No issues with launch even with the higher first gear ratio in the close ratio box…think it will do 50 in first. Ran it for about an hour at urban and road speeds…a little “darty” a highway speeds…think it’s toed out a little. Koni shocks at the front seemed pretty harsh. Boge at the rear felt “right”. V rated Sumitomos at the front are the cat’s meow. Brake booster is clearly not working…think I need to reverse the hoses at the vacuum canister. Oil pressure solid 55 once warmed up (30+@idle)…whew! No oil leaks…nary a drip (Teflon front/Terry’s kit at rear). Front end alignment tomorrow. Final headlight adjust tomorrow night. Then headlighte covers and miscellaneous chrome to wrap it up. By the way, the TEX clip-on door mirror from XKS was essential…I couldn’t see squat using the factory interior mirror. I modified the mounting bracket for the TEX to a U shape that slides over the front edge of door window frame instead of clipping onto the narrow frame edge from the rear. Photo at the end of the run…"mile"stone.

7 Likes

Your gas will thank you. Seriously who wants to cozy up next to tarnished brass? The fuel will slip past them easier when they’re all shiny. Faster fuel means faster car!

4 Likes

You and I have our differences, but…congratulations, for a job well done!

Gorgeous, Eric. I am sincerely jealous. What a rush that first drive must have been.

That’s pretty interesting. So this was the way the VIN was stored previously in their system? No idea if it was that way originally as mine was imported here 20 odd years ago. Maybe they were desperate to try and add more digits. I’ve had to have the same goofy conversation with them at least 5 times that I can recall. Something like this…

“What’s your VIN number?”
“And?”
And what?
“A VIN is 16 numbers. You just gave me 6. What are the other 10?”
Nono that’s the whole number look…
“That isn’t possible.”
It is actually possible and true. It’s a 50 year old car.
“I register 50 year old cars all the time, and they have more than 6 numbers”
It’s English
“Ohhh okay. I still need more numbers. It’s not letting me save it”
Would you like me to make up more?
“That wouldn’t be legal”
Maybe we need to speak to a supervisor who can figure out how to make this happen?

She’s a fine looking cat. You did a great job. That first drive is an amazing feeling. Yeah I drove with Konis front and rear for over 10 years, too cheap and lazy to change them, but wow were they harsh. GAZ all around now.

Mine gets very light feeling at high speeds also. It feels like the front end is trying to take off. I’m not brave enough to try and set land speed records with it.

Top booster valve port goes to the engine.

How did you modify the mirror? It does sound more secure. I finally got mine to stick on the rear edge, but I had to glue the little nylon base to the chrome to ensure it wouldn’t fall off and crash into the paint.

1 Like

I was genuinely surprised at the grunt from the engine. Almost on a par with my old Sunbeam Tiger and TVR/Griffih V8…almost. Quite entertaining…and I haven’t flogged it yet.

I cut the original TEX bracket precisely at the fold, and then welded in a spacer. Not real pretty and needs to be cleaned up and plated, or maybe smoothed and painted with some silver paint, but I was paranoid about that thing coming off and bouncing down the side of the body. (The uglies actually disappear into the door jam when the door is closed). I believe the SNG offerings use a similar mounting approach.

If it works, it works. A little silver paint and no one will ever be the wiser.

If you add to the bracket, such that the mirror extends down about 4-5 inches, it helps immensely.

At least the FHC mirror is bigger than you’d find in a makeup bag.

That’s what’s on my Rover’s visors…:joy:

Great looking car Eric. Love the color combo. Enjoy !

Great looking car. Well done!

Thanks, Ole. Opalescent gunmetal with beige was a factory combo for only a few years ('61-'64).

1 Like

Good looking car. I’ve got to ask. The bottom picture. The leading edge of the door in about the 7 o’clock position from the mirror. A shadow or whatever makes the body look really odd there.