What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Helped my buddy Jim get started on auto to manual swap on his '66 2+2. Going to be a fun project. Jeff S. Atlanta, GA

9 Likes

Nice ride
Nice conversion
Nice garage
Nice friend
Nice

6 Likes

Went on a great run in the country with some fellow JLS. Stopped for a delicious lunch, local Perch and chips and some brown pops. @Nickolas @ajdell

Can’t wait to get these 3 green E’s together again.

8 Likes

Great adventure. May the next one be soon!

Love the one on the left really beautiful colour ….updates the car

1 Like

Those gents are having fun. Is that a Triumph Herald lurking in the background?

Now that you mention it…:grimacing:

Damn, y’all have gorgeous cars!! Maybe some day I be able to paint mine. Until then, I am SOO happy to see you guys driving your beautiful jags.

By the way, which state/province? I was lucky to be able to drive north from Chicago, into Wisconsin, growing up, to catch and enjoy amazing perch. I’m jealous of that part too.

1 Like

IMNSHO… driving nets one more joy than paint.

:grimacing:

I’d take your car over a trailer queen, any day!

5 Likes

Soooo – is it a national requirement that all E-Types be painted green??

3 Likes

Hey Ed

We were in Port Dover Ontario. As we share Lake Erie not sure if they were American or Canadian perch.

You should make your way up to southern Ontario and check out the biggest British car show in North America British Car Day.

@CliveR yep, Thats a Herald, my buddy is president of the local Triumph club and this is his first Jaguar. Jeff S.

1 Like

Seriously, that photo and the one of the three hoodlums menacing three green cars got my day off to a great start. People having fun with cars, excellent :+1:

2 Likes

What a hero. I had a yellow 948cc Herald long, long ago.
I started what we might loosely call my career in the auto industry as a student apprentice with Triumph in 1971. I might be the only person you’ll meet who admits to working on the TR7. I had a 1968 TR5 from 1974 until last year, when I had to face the reality that I probably wouldn’t enjoy driving it enough to justify the cost and effort of the total restoration it needed. I sold it with a lot of regret, but have since been convinced by the old friend who owns the E-type we’re improving /desecrating (depending on your viewpoint) that we should build a second car similar to the Jaguar but with suitable structure to mount a TR body. Can’t wait to see where this leads…

Only if they had been red before.

I had a TR7. It was a very good car and seemed to need a lot less attention than my TR6 or MGB’s ever did. Of course, it was a lot newer too. When my daughter was born, my parents persuaded me to buy something a bit safer. They were right of course.

Some forward progress. Finally found a friend with a press and put the metalastik bushings in the radius arms.

Also made a setup (mandrel) to press the bearing on the differential output shaft. See my “memory” thread. And I found an absolutely perfect washer that fits inside the bearing housing to press out the outer race (the cup). It is so nice to use a press…should have bought one long ago. But the friend’s press started leaking at about 15 tons putting the large bushing in the front of the radius arm…and yes, I coated it with anti-seize. With the leaks fixed, it took about 18 tons to press that bushing in. The last 1/16" took quite an effort.

3 Likes

Ed, if that is the original paint on your E-Type, I wouldn’t repaint the car. If it is an old repaint but with the patina of time and driving adventures, I still wouldn’t paint the car. There is something to be said for an old sports car with the well used and enjoyed look.
Preserve it, drive it, and enjoy it.

1 Like

Your car looks a lot nicer than mine and I’m not painting mine either. At least not yet. I can take to home depot or the autozone and not worry about it. Well, at least not too much. I do park it at the far end of the lot. I don’t even lock it or roll the windows up.

Not only will admit to working on them, I will admit to owning one!

I had a 1980, and it was a decent little car: The AC worked, the heater would blow you out the (Colorado )winter, the on top of that, they would out-handle almost anything else in their day. I didn’t mind the styling, and post-1977 strike, they became pretty decent cars.

One had to be careful of using the right lubricant in the Rover gearbox, otherwise you would destroy the fiber oil pump gears.