What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

I predict, you will LOVE it!!!

1 Like

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp is the link to the place that makes overdrive/underdrive speedo gears and most anything else.

Excellent, thank you sir.

I love mine, kinda like you got an extra gear!

Really ?? Bossier City?? I can stop by some time if you want me to, it’s local to me.

Continued assembling my hardtop after painting

4 Likes

Those rims look interesting Erica,what kind are they?
Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

They’re reproduction Minilites that used to be made in Oz, and were sold by British Wire Wheel. NLA unfortunately.

1 Like

The hard top looks great!

Can you take a pic of the minilites, are they bolt on or knock off?

Thanks Erica.

Regards Gerry.

They’re knock on. The chromed steel splined hubs bolt to the wheel with 8 or so 5/16 bolts. They were kind of a pain to get right. Originally the flange of the hub just sat flush against the wheel surface. 5/16 bolts weren’t snug enough in the holes to get them tightened down perfectly concentric to the wheel which made them unbalanced.

I had a machine shop turn a shallow groove in the wheel surface for the hub to sit inside very snug and perfectly concentric with the wheel so they now spin and balance perfectly. They’re fairly rare. I’ve only talked to one other person here who had a set. I can’t recall exactly, perhaps Dick V?

1 Like

Thanks for the information Erica.

I’m currently talking with Minilites and contemplating a 16 inch version and whether to go 5.5, 6 or 6.5 in width.

Summit Racing lists the Australian Super Lite wheels although I didn’t see any 16” wheels listed.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

These are 15x6 with 205/65/15s. 205/70 fit well also

5 Likes

I JUST ABOUT got those for Tweety: I think they are awesome, and waaaaay easier to take care of than wires.

The mini lite guys in the UK can make them in 16

Managed with great difficulty to get a rear hub apart. Made a DIY puller from a wheel spinner that will be replaced. Bearings look fine but new grease seals are in order. Also sleeved my master cylinder in stainless a last week. Drilling the .025 hole was the most difficult, only broke 1 #72 drill.IMG_2261|666x500

drill.

2 Likes

Can you share the details of the home grown puller? Parts, dimensions, etc.

Cut a 1/4" or greater thickness steel plate that will just fit inside the wheel knock-off. Drill a clearance hole in the center of the plate and knock-off for at least a 6" length of 9/16 or better yet 5/8" medium or high strength fine threaded rod. Weld a high strength nut to the steel plate. Turn on a lathe the end of the rod so it centers in the center hole of the spline you will be pressing. Put 2 back-to-back nuts on the other end of the rod. Grease the threads and the end of the rod. Install the plate and knock-off on the hub. The spline was assembled with some kind of glue or sealer, so heat hub to at least 250F, yes grease will be dripping all over the place… then use an impact wrench to tighten the puller. McMaster Carr is a great place to get all this stuff.

1 Like

Added interior LED lighting. I like the green, there are so many colours available.

Add a nice soft lightening when driving at night… I’m assuming roads are full a snow and salt.

2 Likes