What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

will you adopt me? LOL

Itā€™s a gorgeous fall day here in Maryland and I just took Daphne (first time in over 45 years of driving Iā€™ve ever named a car) out for a nice 30+ mile leg stretch. Damn but I do love these glorious old cars.

1 Like

I had a Parrish Plastics hardtop on my '64 in '74-'80. I had it on the car for quite a while. The rubber gasket pretty much ruined the paint. The new antique white paint picked up a brownish stain where the gasket sat.

yeah, Iā€™ve read many posts to this effect. I have little doubt that they all move about. Maybe a Velcro seal would be a good solution. I should probably just reapply the 3M film. It just looked kind of icky with the top off.

Easy choice: icky, replaceable 3M film, or icky damaged paintā€¦:disappointed:

Nah, I have the 3rd option on now. Much like Nick, I just ran tape around, except I used black vinyl electrical tape instead of paper tape. It grips well enough so I just have have some squeaks. It only took 15 minutes to apply and might take an hour to remove and clean up. The film took several hours to make patterns, cut out and apply, and multiple days to remove.

1 Like

Certainly easier: Op. 3, it is!

Thank G-d!!! The alternative was down right spooky!!!

Pat, I sent you a message a few weeks ago. Did you see it ?
Awesome car, BTW

Continues to be awesome!

Best, Alan

Hey Frank

We ended up scraping the block on the advise of the builder. It probably could have been welded, I really didnā€™t want to think of going through the process again if it fails. Especially when I was warned.

Ole, cant seem to find it?

New message sent :slight_smile:

matching number block? I would have stored it to offer with the car if I ever sold it.

There was an article years ago on how to save a cracked block in one of the Jaguar magazines. it involved screwing (?) some kind of ā€œplugsā€ into the crack. maybe you can turn it up in a search.

Hi Bill. It wasnā€™t a matching block. There were multiple long cracks along the side of the block, maybe freeze cracks. You are right though if it were matching I might have fixed it.

It depends on the location and size of the crack.

LLoyd

ā€œWhat terrifies religious extremists like the Taliban are not American tanks or bombs or bullets, itā€™s a girl with a book.ā€
Malala Yousafzai

It was ā€œPractical Classicsā€. They said the method was developed in shipyards. It involved drilling holes which were filled with tightened screws of a special type. The crack repaired was horizontal just down from the top deck surface. The block looked like an early 4.2, which, I think, donā€™t have the straight line of ā€˜freezeā€™ plugs.

1 Like

Showed my car for the Last time at the International Jaguar Festival in Santa Barbara, tomorrow itā€™s a driver. Tough competition. 5 series one E-types each having received 100 points in the recent past. Donā€™t yet know how we did but Iā€™ll be proud 5th or better, and now I get to drive it. Judges included George Camp and Robert Mueller, hard to argue with them on anything they find. Awards in two hours.

2 Likes

A driven 90-point E Type will have far greater utility, and I predict will bring a bigger smile to your face, than a 100-point trailer-queen show winner.

5 Likes

Sounds like ā€˜stitchingā€™. One of my TRs has such a repair - done more than 50 years ago and still fine today:

CrackofDoom

2 Likes