What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

What flavor are the calipers: Volvo?

Four pot calipers were made by Zeus. They replaced a pair of Girling (S2) calipers that a P.O. had fitted to my S1.

The bumpers…or the nests? :yum::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The bumpers I think. Velcro might be a bit too strong for the nests.

1 Like

Maybe LTDs, for the bumpers…:wink:

Yesterday I completed the installation of the new diff, a 3.058 in place of the original 3.54. Today we went for a test drive. I LIKE IT! The car has sufficient punch in any gear at any reasonable speed and is much more relaxed, dare I say civilized, on the highway. 2,800 RPM at 70 MPH is nice. This is a change I do not regret.

2 Likes

As Borat would say…

I loved the 3.07 in Tweety.

1 Like

I know…needs must at the moment

Installed a 9/16-18 helicoil in the striped transmission tail section. One small step, thousands more to go…

1 Like

I must try out a 3.07, much as I love the punch of the 3.54. Sometime I’m not up to my elbows in XK120.

Wirh the massive torques these things make—hundreds of torques!!— you dont lose that much, and the highway driving is soooooo much more relaxed.

Nick,
2 E-Types in the family, one with a 3.54 gear and the other with a 3.07. As the 3.07 is in the 64 and the 3.54 in the 69 a direct comparison is not totally an apples to apples type thing but there is a very noticeable difference in high gear punch but third gear is always there if needed. That said, I would never consider changing the 3.07 for a 3.54.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Kinda like the 2:53 in my '71 Vega and 3:73 in my '75 Cosworth Vega. I like them both a lot but not a apples to apples comparison. The Cosworth of course has much more punch but it can be a bit frantic so for my everyday driving I generally gravitate to the '71 since it is very relaxed just loping along on the freeway. Guess I am getting old. Sure would like to take a ride in a 3:07 E to see how it is compared to my 3:54

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Have to go with 3.07 if you use 65 series tires. Speedo reading 10% low.
I really think a 2.88 is useful for a highway Jag. But I love my 3.07!
On jack stands of course, I would never endanger my fellow drivers. Just a controlled test, of course.

2 Likes

Wow…and they havent rusted away?

:crazy_face:

I had such HIGH hopes for that car, when it came out…

OJC: when I was doing the body resto on Tweety, I had to force myself to accomplish something, every day.

It still took me 3 years to get it all done.

2 Likes

And sometimes it is just looking at the piles and boxes muttering “What have I gotten myself into.”

1 Like

Indeed, and ergo, the importance of a “contemplation stool,” and a well-stocked garage fridge!

1 Like

At times just laying underneath the car pondering how stuff is put together. I had prior experience (way back fiddling with old mercedes) but no experience with XKE´s. I was lucky enough to get a running and complete XKE. So to just get to know the beast it takes a lot of sitting on the contemplation stool. Fun just as well. Got it running!

Martin

2 Likes

I know that was said jokingly but if serious can just lead to frustration. Break the overall job down into manageable bits, build or refurbish sub assemblies, pretty soon those will all be completed and it’s time to put that iron jigsaw puzzle together.

2 Likes

Yup and it helps to keep looking behind you at the bits you’ve already finished, and never at the mountain of work ahead. It was lIke therapy for me to peruse those bits at the start and finish of every work session.

2 Likes