What did you do to your Saloon today

Thanks I’ll remember that.

Not really today but in the last month or so. Replaced the painted wire wheels with stainless steel items & fitted four Cinturatos, replaced the very over rated 123 with the original reconditioned distributor. Changed gearbox oil, grease service, soldered radiator overflow and replaced washer motor. Delivered car to bodyshop for bare metal respray. They removed all the chrome which has been taken to refinisher at great cost! Today delivered to them the Reutter seat chrome I forgot to take with the rest!

2 Likes

What was wrong? I have two of these and think they’re great! Been running them five an eight years.

I should probably have said that the curve is more the fault. The 123 made the car start well and it stopped the occasional “coughing” but it lost its low end torque.
I check mpg too and it was surprisingly quite a bit less with the 123. I think maybe best to just fit electronic ignition to the standard distributor!

The curve is programmable,……

Not mine, the Jaguar 6 R V. You’re talking about the later more sophisticated offerrings. My version has 16 pre-set curves and trust me, none made the car feel like the standard setup. Granted, as said, good starting and no hiccups but anaemic lower end pull. I’m a lazy driver and back with the standard equipment I barely need to change gear!

2 Likes

Made my 1st purchase for our Recently acquired 1960 Mark 2, Found a pair of reclining front seat frames. Now I will just have to clean them up, repaint them, and transfer the good foam and covers off our standard seats.

Congratulations regarding your find. They are worth restoring!

I see that your reclining seats have 8 pleats, ours originally had 7.

Good luck with your project.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hope I do not damage the Originals, Actually our originals seem to have 7 pleats, and the recliners seem to have 8. I wonder when they added the 8th pleat? Also our cars has the Oil Bath Air Cleaner, Recessed sun visors, and the shift lever for the automatic is located on the left side of the Steering Column (LHD) I see quite a few small changes that were made to the 61-67 Mark 2’s, compared to ours.

The early seats have seven pleats until late 64. 65 on have eight plests and the Reutter type seat was changed too losing the very attractive chrome casings.

1 Like

You have an early MK2. Ours was manufactured in very late '62. By this time, the recessed sun visors, shift lever location and oil bath air cleaner were no more. Our Reuter reclining seats are an early variant. The Jaguar Spare Parts Book goes into a lot of detail regarding the reclining seats and their change points during production. A couple variants were offered during production and I suspect that some of the parts are not interchangeable with other parts because of explicit part number differences. Have you attempted to fit your 7 pleat seat bases into the frames of the 8 pleat reclining seats? I can verify that our late '62 seats were originally fitted with 7 pleats. Perhaps later cars than ours were fitted with 8 pleats?

1 Like

Thanks Brian, I have not tried to fit the covers on the recliners yet, (I still have to pick them up from the seller) I hope they will work. If not live and learn. I have a lot of learning to do on these cars!

1 Like

This evening an enclosed trailer pulled up in front of my house and unloaded my new car, and I drove it into my garage for the first time.

More pictures at https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-jaguar-mk-ix-13/

17 Likes

Congratulations Mike on acquiring such a beauty - Tex.

1 Like

Grand is the only word for that! Well done.

WOW ! great purchase ! what a beauty !

Simply stunning motor vehicle Mike. Enjoy!,

The interior is perfect and the paint and chrome are very good, but somehow the mechanicals have been neglected. Luckily I can handle those tasks assuming I can find all the problems. For example, this is what greeted me when I took the top off the brake fluid reservoir:

This will be my winter project.

3 Likes

Mike,

This is most disturbing to me since the car was on BAT! I was thinking the cars on BAT were close to perfect condition (from the pics, writeup, and seller comments)! I assume now the buyer has to be carefully when making a bid! I am a consultant for Rolls Royce. I tell clients to NEVER buy one unless they can see the car in person (and drive it extensively to confirm the condition)! I am beginning to believe you can’t trust hardly anyone today!

PS Gorgeous car (exterior/interior)!

Richard Greene

…boy howdy.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: