What do i do with this pipe

My Series 2 E type inlet manifold has this small pipe next to the water hose, It is suppose to go back to the radiator header as a bleed off I guess, however my 150 radiator does not have an outlet, can anyone tell me if I can just plug it off.
Engine is a MK10 with E type manifold to be installed in a 150.

That looks to me like a very complex alternative to the 1/8" hole I usually drill in thermostat baseplates to allow for an air bleed when filling.
Don’t see why you can’t plug it.

Definitely not standard but it could have been installed to aid in coolant flushing.

Just a guess.

Bob

Hi Morris,

Looks like its there to remove air that gets trapped in the manifold, how
you remove the trapped air I am not sure, is that pipe higher than the top
tank on the radiator.?

Thanks all, me thinks I will cut the pipe and tap the hole and insert a bleeder bolt or some such gizmo.

Or, you can trade that S2 thermostat housing and extension for this spare S1 housing I have hanging around.

It bolts right up to the S2 manifold once the extension and other housing are removed.

Now you tell me Nick, cost me $85 for that housing plus another 42% before it landed at my Canadian doorstep. Yes thats $120 cdn.
Should have put the word out sooner. Duuuh!

1 Like

That little pipe is a feature that allows air to bleed out of the cooling system during the initial fill. It had something to do with emission controlled engines running hotter and supposedly helps eliminate air and steam pockets in the head, iirc. I’m not convinced it’s all that essential as most thermostats feature either a little valve or hole in them to bleed air. Once that happens the thing does nothing, at least not that I’m aware of.

While the thermostat pictured above will bolt up to the S2 intake manifold you would still need to block off the bypass, so it really isn’t a practical option. The S2 bypass arrangement goes through the water pump rather than the manifold, so the thermostat housing you have is the correct one for the manifold you have. The question that remains is what water pump you have.

This is what l have Nick, its a 150 w/pump. I shall leave the short pipe for now and see what happens if anything when l fill with water and run it. I managed to fit a cut down 150 by-pass hose for the manifold heating.
As you cam see l plugged the pipe. Thanks for the explanation.

You can just cut it off. This i’s an E-Type Stromberg manifold with the intermediate thermostat housing discarded and the bypass port on the hose adapter simply cut off.

If you ever have to replace the thermostat, the new one should have a piddler valve as part of the unit. It is installed facing up. This helps get rid of trapped air and allows coolant to “piddle” out and down into the system.

Bob