What do you think about my pistons, and a head gasket question…

I have just pulled my head for the second year in a row, last year I gave up and put it back before I got to the timing chain, this year I’m digging in deeper….

I am interested in comments on the condition of the pistons…. When I put the head on last winter everything was as clean as could be, and the car only has 200 or 300 kms on it since then, I’m kind of surprised at how much carbon is already built up after such a short time, mind you most of my drives have been short, so maybe slightly rich carbs and not getting it hot enough?

Also re the head gasket… this is an inexpensive basic one $39 from Moss, wondering if I can reuse it considering how short a time it has been in service!

Thanks in advance….

Engine looks good. Use new gasket. If you are done pulling the head again buy a better gasket this time…

Thanks Kris…. I grew up in a house where we straightened and reused nails…. My wife says I have short arms and deep pockets…. I need a reason to buy a better / more expensive head gasket, why and what would you recommend?

Your FWD carb might be too rich?

It depends how much you hate leaks. I would at least upgrade to a payen gasket. Or get your wife to kick in another c note and upgrade to a cometic. The upgraded multilayer gaskets will be much better at sealing surface imperfections around the oil, water and combustion chamber joints.

1 Like

I’d be a little concerned about the large hole in the dome of the front (#6) piston.

Of course you know better than to take mostly short drives, the amount of carbon buildup even on the worst piston is not concerning. I don’t see a hole?

The gasket shouldn’t be reused. I’d get another for $39 (probably $45 now).

Be aware of variations in gasket thickness. When I rebuilt my engine, I bought a Payen gasket with the built-in silicone sealing strips, a bog standard gasket that (I think) came as part of a head set. What they all sell, no choice in gasket thickness. Fitted it, and found it completely impossible to install the timing chain. I don’t think I’m the first to find this. I then bought the old-style tin gasket, as you have, and everything went together fine. Sprayed it copper and had no problems, even with Evans. The head had to come off for a non-gasket related problem, and I decided to fit a MLS Cometic. These are beatifully made and allow for thermal changes in such a long cylinder head. But remembering the gasket thickness issue, I checked the thickness of the standard Cometic offerings and found them all too thick. I was able to special order one of the correct thickness and it’s been on ever since with no problems.
I would never reuse an embossed metal gasket that has been installed (and therefore compressed) previously. And whatever you fit, don’t forget to re-torque the head bolts after two full heat cycles (more important than just mileage). Using the tightening sequence, slacken off one nut then retorque. Then the next and so on. You’ll be suprised at how loose some will be.