What is she worth?

My son has been storing (and enjoying) my '94 XJS convertible the last several years. He no longer has a place to keep her indoors, and neither do I. We are coming to the sad conclusion that she needs to find a new home. She is a reliable daily driver, certainly not a “trailer queen”, and I have no idea what to ask as a selling price. Depending on her value, either of us might decide to just park her outside and enjoy her whenever weather allows. We both live in the Pacific Northwest. Anyone

The XJS is a niche car, anathema to most, yet appreciated by some aficionados (but more cars for sale than there are aficionados). There are a number of websites offering cars for sale that you can check to see what sellers are asking, but that won’t tell you if they sell or what they actually sell for. Price is going to depend on a number of things, like mileage, condition, alterations from stock, items needing replacement, location, etc. There is/was a quarterly value guide for out-of-the-ordinary cars (meant for dealers but you can order) called “Cars of Particular Interest”, but I cannot seem to find it on the internet now:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/bb102.html
The most recent copy I have is Jan/Feb 2018 and it listed the 1994 XJS convertible range at $5,650 in fair condition, $11,300 in nice condition, and $20,550 in as-new condition w/extremely low miles.

Frankly, XJS’s have not sold well in recent years; for example, here is a link that shows recent eBay sales (many more XJS listings failed to bring enough money to result in a sale):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1994+jaguar+xjs+convertible&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Here are asking prices for some other recent listings online:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Jaguar/XJS

My best guess would be in the neighborhood of $9K for a really nice example with under 80k miles.

There’s a nice scatter graph of XJS sales on Bringatrailer:

For whatever reason Bringatrailer outperforms eBay. I think most eBay auctions aren’t auctions and are settled privately later.

XJS prices are way up on BaT but still in a slump on Craigslist.

Hagerty values for a 1994 6-cylinder convertible:

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in a 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.

Current Values

• #1 Concours$37,600

Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is “concours.”

Value Change Over Time

Face-lift convertibles seem to be the in-demand XJS of late, and command big $$ :moneybag: If it were a coupe, figure on a lot less loot, maybe only 50% that amount … I never understood that, as I prefer coupes and no way I would drive a convertible - not as safe and not as “theft-resistant” … :-1:

Theft resistant? Any amateur thief can unlock the door with a wire hanger in a fraction of the time it would take to cut the roof. You ever see how much framing and material is in that padded convertible roof? Your car is about as difficult to break into as a saloon with swinging doors.

As for the safety, I would image that a rollover would probably crush the low coupe roof to permanently maim the driver, at best. I might take the less safe, but also less painful way out of that no-win situation.

If you’re into safety, I would recommend driving a car that is at least crash tested. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a crash rating on any of these cars, coupes or convertibles. I’m pretty sure there’s a reason for that.

or remove the mirror and grab the rod connected to the lock. phillips head screw driver, needle nose pliers and five minutes!