What is this number stamping

1 3296

Found this number stamped behind the crash roll rubber behind the seats. It’s not the chassis number. I’ll have to check but I don’t think it’s the body tag number either.

Edit: body tag is F4004

I can’t believe I have stumped all of you guys! Nobody’s seen this number before?

It looks like a body number tag to me, but who knows

1 Like

Body tag is F4004. I’m wondering if 3296 is maybe the part number for the back half of the body? I can’t find it in the parts manual.

Mike, there seems to be a number 1 to the left of the 3296. On my 140 bonnet there is a matching body number (to my tag) stamped on the outer face of the left front aluminum panel that the steel pieces which support the latch tongue are attached to. I don’t know if the 120 has that or not. Sorry no answer to your question, I do not recall seeing anything like that when mine was apart.

I thought of that, but the tonneau panel is BD.2476
The tonneau panel for the alloy is BD.3216

Maybe it’s some girl’s phone number and the guy didn’t have a pencil. :wink:

1 Like

Looks like it was stamped in prior to the panel being made…otherwise it would possibly distort the panel?..maybee a number on the sheet steel?

known of them for 30 + years certainly do not relate to body or chassis number and this one is stamped into metal on a curve indicating to me it was stamped on before folding?
There was a number though painted on to raw metal shell on XK150’s and its almost as though its a supply stock type number ?

1 Like

660752 also has a stamp in that position.

Looks like L 1054

Doesn’t correspond to body or other known numbers.

1 Like

thanks for that love to get crisper photo if possible
regards terry tmcgrath@bigpond.com

So if 672027, built 4 April 1952, is 3296, could there be some arithmetic progression related to the the number of OTS cars produced? LHD or RHD would have no impact on the rear half of the body?