What’s this wire - series 3 1985 alternator

Oh yes everything is measured with a Fluke. New alt is reman and is identical to old one so I’m certain it’s wired up correctly.

Light was off and I think the voltage was a little higher on the first couple days. So I’m still thinking it must have been working but went defective. I’m not looking forward to swapping it out again, mostly because swapping the pulley will require me to ask a favor of the local mechanic yet again (hard without an impact).

Any suggestions on a better replacement?

Only that ‘remanufactured’ has mixed feedbacks, Martin…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Not sure where you are located. In USA visit harbor Freight for an electric impact. Or if you have a compressor, an air impact. Very useful tool. I needed to drive some lag screws. short work.

Warranty attaches you to the same source. Roulette. A good one or another junker.

Way back, I needed an impact for a pinion nut.

6 pack to a local small mechanical shop. Done… …

Carl…

No expert on the XK engine but this fits the V12 like a glove and it’s 120A
Search for ALT319, it’s for Land Rovers.

Check out johns cars aka broken kitty.

He has a kit for using a readily available Delco .

Carl

25 years ago I went shopping for these things and discovered I could buy a pneumatic impact and the air compressor for the cost of an electric impact. And the pneumatic was much better, twice the torque rating.

Good tip, I ordered a kit and alternator and it came super fast, and pretty reasonable price too! Hopefully I’ll have time to install it tomorrow.

And amusingly the box was stuffed with no less than 5 different issues of the sports section of the Dallas Morning News

Ok. SUCCESS with the kit from John’s!14.4 volts and no more battery light. Also learned taking the alternator out is easier than I thought- sway bar links and transmission cooler are the only thing you have to take off.

1 Like

Love that pic!

20 char

hi martin: just curious for future alternator replacement, was the sway bar under tension? or it simply is unbolted. i had to replace the compressor so i removed the alternator from the top but if the alt fails, i’ll do it your way. thanks, ren

If both wheels are on or off the ground it’s not under tension and is quite easy to remove the links. Don’t even have to take the tires off.

Also don’t have to remove the sway bar mounts, it will pivot far enough. Maybe Unbolt the trans cooler (easy) and free up the PS hoses slightly too.

Remove alt tensioner then you can swing it away from the engine far enough to get to the mounting bolts. Back one is a little tricky, just put a wrench on underneath and then come with a very long extension from above.

Probably should reinstall lower links with wheels on the ground, tighten to about 20ft