What thread forms were used on the 1968 mk2 and daimler v8's?

I am going to buy a tap and die set, as I keep snapping old studs etc. Where BSF, UNC, AF,threads used on my car, or something different. This info will guide me in my purchase of a good set ot taps and dies

The vast majority are UNC/UNF. There are a few fasteners outside of the Unified system, mostly limited to the diff and the carbs.

Make sure you get a good set and a thread gauge. I still have most of the Butterworth set I bought in the early '70s.

Thanks for the reply, Im not very good with computers, so find it difficult to use this and all sites. Can I ask if you own a Daimler 250 or a jag,

My first Jag was a 420g, at the moment I have a S-type, I mostly work on Jags. I look after a 250 and a 340 for a friend, as well as a gaggle of Es, XKs, and XJs.

I have completely disassembled the S-type. I mean completely, right down to disassembling the speedo into it’s individual parts. I have chased pretty much every single thread on the car with a set of UNC/UNF thread chasers.

there are only a few sizes/ studs that would normally be liable to snapping??

so it can be less expensive to obtain just a few individually

I have an excellent Fastener/tool supply shop near me, or Ebay is cheaper

also have a couple of “Sets”

the exact thread size can usually be found in the Parts Manual, or asking here

I do a lot of work on old vehicles, including Jaguars, and havent (unwittingly) broken any fasteners for a long time (used to)

If they are suspect, I take a number of measures & techniques

1 Like