What to Do; sell or disassemble?

As those who have been on this list for at least a few months know, last spring I acquired a 1973 XJ6. This is in addition to a 71 XJ6. Unfortunately, my garage workshop holds only one car and with winter on the way, I must divest myself of the 71. I really don’t want to move my shop or even store the 71 elsewhere. Why? The expense, and the fact that it has rarely run well over the almost 40 years I have owned it. And more important, it would require the installation of new sills, which also means a partial repaint.

So the question is, do I sell it as is, or after it is running, or disassemble it for spare parts? The problem with selling it is that it probably should be running, which mean II must reinstall the head which I removed some time ago. I guess that I am somewhat sour on the car given the many repairs I have made, and parts I have installed for the relatively few months of runtime.

Any suggestions or a way to objectively evaluate the options would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lou

Lou,

Are you on the East Coast?

Jeff H

Here’s my 2 cents (thoughts) on the subject.

1. DONT DISMANTAL IT! Sorry, for yelling. It’s a Series I and there aren’t very many left. Everyone, well almost everyone scooped up the E-types (back in the day) and left the XJ’s go to the crusher.

2. Selling a car that doesn’t run - Never stopped me
    Honestly, I don’t think it matters selling a car that doesn’t run. True, your limiting your buyer, and you’ll get less money for the car, but if you’re not concerned about the money you just don’t want to store it; then sell it. I’m quite sure there will be a buyer. What do you want for the car? Where do you live? :wink: For the love of God, please don’t tell me. I don’t want to rent another storage unit. :smile:

I have 7 Jaguars XJ’s, and only 2 ran when I purchased them. and ALL of them needed work straight away.
I have 4 XJ6’s '72, '74, '85 & 86
1 XJR-100, and
3 XJ-S’s '87 C, '88 Coupe, and '89 Convertible.

I made an enclosure out of PVC Sch 40 pipe and a huge tarp. It’s like a little clam shell for my little XJ6. Works well. I also made ramps, so the car wasn’t sitting on the ground, then crumpled up aluminum foil and put it around the tires to keep the Mice out of the engine bay.

There’s my 2 cents.

1 Like

Lou. Buy the September issue of Octane magazine and feel better. In Australia most went the way of hot rods and Cobra replicas. Many remaining don’t have original engines. I have one of the relatively few left. We’re hopeless saps here - I can’t be objective. Sorry no help. Paul

‘Objectively’, Lou…? :slight_smile:

From the expected price of a running car; deduct the cost of getting it in running order - with or without you labour included. Or price as is. Then compare to the ‘income’ and ‘expense’ from parting it out, or the value of spares. The greatest positive number wins…

Emotionally; doing a good job and seeing your Jaguar going to a good new home has nothing to do with money - unless you are emotionally attached to a gain…

I cannot give an objective answer - it’s too personal…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Jeff: Yes, I am in Scranton Pennsylvania.

Regards

Lou