What to do with liners?

When doing the rebuild of my 71 Series 3 E-Type, I found the liners to be a tad oval (about .001" to .0015") and to have some light vertical scoring marks. They were also running couple of thousandths over spec. For $600.00 I replaced all of them.

If my Series 3 was a convertible and worth putting money into a racier motor, I might have bored them out a bit and added some displacement. But, I didn’t.

So, now I have 12 liners in not horrible shape sitting here and am wondering what to do with them. Wind chimes? Planters? Throw them in the iron recycle tub at the machine shop?

Thoughts? Ideas? Do you want them?

I can provide specs and pistons for Bore and Stroke job from Norm Lutz’s engine kits if you are interested in saving/reusing those liners. Why not consider a 6ltr-7ltr second engine for your machine or ?? The information is free for your use…another block??

Your project, best, JW

Flower pots!!!

I had thought of looking for another block to build on as I’ve had a blast working with this engine design. I’ve got so many irons in the fire right now (training for another long distance bike ride for example) that it’ have to be something dropping into my lap to really consider it.

Put 'em in the fish tank and let the fishies swim through them.

2 Likes

often times i have bored used liners .020 (twenty thou.) over and order new pistons and hone to size!

ron

I thought there were no oversized pistons available for the V12.

I don’t believe there are. There are outfits, though, that will custom make pistons in any size you choose.

there are no factory Jag over size pistons for V12, but as been said ,custom pistons can be ordered from most any piston manufactures , and can be ordered FORGED aluminum, at good prices.

price would or may be better than factory, they make them by the thousands!

talk to someone there, whoever, say what you need , and i have found it better to send one of your old pistons to them and let them make new ones ,.020 oversize!

ron

1 Like