What to do with Old Gas

I have five gallons of very old gasoline, about 4 years old, and was wondering what I could do with it?

Thanks

Lou

To the hazardous waste center is the best solution for gas that old.

It might have lost enough volatility so as to be a lessor hazard as a cleaning solvent. But, not worth the risk,

I tried some old gas in my lawn mower a yer or two ago, rejected. No run…,

Son fired up the HONDA powered old Craftsman SP mower. the real HONDA, not the “knock off”. I think it is around 20 years old and has run a lot. Faded tread on the front drive wheels to attest to that.
OTH, the Predator. an HF sourced HONDA “knock off” has a lot of guts. Runs “Litttle Red” my old TroyBilt Chipper/shredder with elan. But, on fresh fuel, not the old stuff!!!

Carl

1 Like

Lou,
I use the Jag-Lovers archive search function all the time to research questions like this. I am on several lists and this question comes up regularly on pretty much all of those lists. Rather than spoil the punchline I recommend that you search the Jag-Lovers archives for “old gasoline” and see what the writers of dozens of posts there have had to say. As with any subject there are wide ranging opinions so reading a bunch of them is worthwhile. That is just one of many benefits of searching the archives. :slight_smile:

Paul

1 Like

I would just add a few litres to the tank after a fill up and dispose of it the way you should :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second that, Robin - slow, but sure…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Make that three.

Add into the tank of a daily driver/normal car a few pints per tankful. “Free” added mileage. Keep the last pint of dregs in a jar for parts cleaning.

A bit of disagreement. OK for a bit to clean. But, in a can, not glass!!! Shivvver from remnants from former profession…

Carl

1 Like

We need the NEW YORK answer…ITS CRAP DUMP THE GAS!
GTJOEY1314

In the words of ABBA;
Money money money :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Filtering petrol through a chamois leather to remove water and impurities is still valid, Carl…:slight_smile:

Frank

Yes, in away. But, some of the “light” is gone, thus not as “easy” to fire. Never thought of the chamois filter as effective in the removal of water! seems logical.

But, real chamois went out not long after buggy whips. I

circa 1950, I worked in a full service station while a college student. We used the real chamois on the “wash rack”. the older ones first. then the new ones to wipe the cars dry and do the glass. Needed as west Texas water quite “hard”, ie high mineral content…

Condolences as to the madness that came to your beautiful quiet, peaceful country.

Carl.

List:

Thank you for the guidance on disposing of old gasoline. I would not want to make an ash of myself.

Spent the afternoon in the garage. Was very relieved to learn that the 1/2 circle gasket I had left over after installation of the head is part of the valve cover. I was worried that I left it out of somewhere.

I spent most of the afternoon attempting to “blow out” the parts from the master break cylinder that needs repair. At 150 pounds of pressure, was only able to get the first plunger and spring out, but no luck on the remainder of the parts. I’m going to ship it out to White Post Restorations which will re-sleve it for a reasonable price.

Regards

Lou

1 Like

Thanks Carl appreciate the thought.
I saw a post which correlated the numbers;
50 dead in relation to our population would equal roughy 3400+ in the states :frowning:
A sad day indeed, at least the main perpetrator has been in court already.

Lou,

Don’t use air for blowing out stuck pistons: if they’re really stuck it won’t budge them.

See here: Mark 9 brake master cylinder frustration

Although, if you’re going to send them out to be resleeved anyway then disassembly only serves your curiousity.

Thank you, Carl - much appreciated…

No country is immune against people with a grudge…

Frank

Paul:

Where is the access to the archives?

Thanks

Lou

If you login to the web interface you can search (magnifying glass top right corner) the entire history of J-L.