Wheel Balancing - Who Knew How Little It Matters

Just remove the valve, put a piece of rubber hose over the stem, insert a funnel into the hose end and slowly pour them in. Then screw in the filter valve and remove your weights.

The kit Erica linked to includes a clear tube and a graduated squeeze bottle though comments suggest it still takes some time and coaxing. One reviewer filled the tube then gave it a shot of air to send the beads on their way. Rinse, repeat.

I ordered this one as it was the same price but has 33% more beads, enough extra to do the spare tire:

Iā€™m going to mark my existing weights (location & weight), remove them, then try the beads.

Beads are fine with tubes.

Ok! Will try them out on the next set of tires.

Btw, you almost cannot use too many, they distribute around the wheel automatically.

A Youtuber says one manufacturer suggests one oz (weight or volume not specified) per 13 pounds of tire/rim. Makes sense that you need to use enough.

Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d have to have a certain mass to work, made for the purpose. One guy says he tried airsoft BBs and they didnā€™t work. Duh.

Iā€™d like to see some proper data from a testing lab.

Mitch, thereā€™s no data like real life tested data, and both Erica and I have had good long duration, as in years,

I think there must be a minimum, and that would account for the majority of the bad reviews of the product, people saying it didnā€™t work on their truck tires. They probably needed twice as much as this package supplies. I do have alloy Minilites and Iā€™m not sure of the weight. Iā€™ll try and weigh one soon so people can compare them to their wires.

I donā€™t see how using too much would hurt, within reasonable limits. You MUST have enough to offset any imbalance, and I donā€™t know that Iā€™ve EVER seen a wheel/tire imbalance over about 3 oz, and even that is rare. So, 3 oz, would be my choice. If you really get carried away, you might end up with a low-speed imbalance, as it will all be clumped on one side until the wheel is spinning fast enough to make it re-distribute itself properly.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like